Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Metal stuff looks nice, but I don't think it would work with the trex.

I explained to her about the 17-18 inch sum, but for some reason she really wants a giant tread.

Here is how it stands now.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My opinion is it looks like a goofy idea. Looks like it will not fit in nicely with the surroundings.

But if you do decide to do it, you're on the right track with the engineered route IMO. Sandwiching wood outside isn't something I like doing.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Those look like 8" runs +/-. how are you gonna get another 80" out of that without encroaching on the sidewalk?

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
I wouldn't do this job like I wouldn't do one where the client wants 5' ceilings because they're short.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Those look like 8" runs +/-. how are you gonna get another 80" out of that without encroaching on the sidewalk?
Get rid of the landings and one stair, there is also another foot and a half before we get into the sidewalk.

I've talked her out of the 16" deep treads. Now she's asking if I can give her an 8" riser. I'm starting to feel like she's just screwing with me at this point.

·
Design Build
7,414 Posts
I've been trying to sell this stair and railing job. It's going well so far. The client keeps adding changes in though. She is now asking if I can make the treads 16" deep. I can't think of a good way to cut the stringer though. Is it possible to find pressure treated 2x16, or 2x18? Or maybe some type of exterior grade engineered lumber?
1 ¾" x 24" LVLs.

But seriously.....16" treads start to be a code issue or at least not a smooth flowing set of stairs.....I'd say 12" treads are max for step flow.

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
In my experience, LVL's come with a waxed outer layer on both sides.

Slippery as chit when it gets wet.

Biscuit an import like Ipé together to get your tread depth.

And for the record:

16" is too deep.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I talked her out of the nonsensical deep treads. Just gonna go with pt 2x12s.

Started demo yesterday, I'll post some photos when it looks like something.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts