Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to sell this stair and railing job. It's going well so far. The client keeps adding changes in though. She is now asking if I can make the treads 16" deep. I can't think of a good way to cut the stringer though. Is it possible to find pressure treated 2x16, or 2x18? Or maybe some type of exterior grade engineered lumber?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried explaining how weird it would be to her. She seems pretty set on it. Apparently her husband has big feet....

What I originally worked out for her came out to 6 3/4 over 12 7/8 which would be just about perfect. If I had 16" treads I would need a 7 3/4" rise, which really sounds terrible. If I used a 4" rise, the stairs would start in the middle of the street.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
7 3/4" is beyond most accepted codes.

I would also bring up trip hazards.
8 1/4 max here

she has a small block staircase in the back at the 7 3/4 over 16 dimension and seems to like it.

She said she wants something like they have at libraries and universities.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haven't seen much in the code about max tread depth. Hopefully it is 14 around here too and I can just build it properly.

Its an exterior stair so I would be worried about lvl holding up.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Haven't seen much in the code about max tread depth. Hopefully it is 14 around here too and I can just build it properly.

Its an exterior stair so I would be worried about lvl holding up.
My yard carries exterior lvl , came out a few years ago .

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Or cut the stringers only partially, leaving sufficient throat. Wedge or shim above if necessary to fill in, doing something creative on the outside if it's visible, to hide the wedge.

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
haven't thought it all the way through. but
how about a 2x12for the stringer (uncut)
then make the riser part and attach to the top
and plate each side with plywood glued and screwed.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts