Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
S.U.M said:
Has any one test drove or bought the new ram 1500 diesel?
Had a friend who looked into it. He didn't say much other than it was expensive and didn't other nothing over equivalent gassers. He was more worried about long term costs with fuel and maintenance. He still ain't decided what he wants but last I heard he was looking at a ecoboost f150 but I told him to hold out until the 2015's come out.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Saw one in person for the first time last month. I don't think I'd trust that new engine until a few guinea pigs try it out long term first. I'm not much for new trucks but I feel I'd be spending the extra (not much more I don't think) for a 2500 with a cummins. Harder on fuel but way more power and way higher capacities... Likely a much more reliable set up as well.

Damn I wish they put an inline 4 cummins in the half ton instead of this v6 BS...

·
Registered
258 Posts
The new diesel in those RAMs is a Fiat engine from Europe. I would wait a little bit before buying one. Originally they had planned for Cummins to make a light duty diesel engine for the RAM 1500, but with the Fiat merger a few years back that all fell apart. From what I have heard Cummins is partnering with Nissan to put a light duty engine in the upcoming Nissan pickup.

In most cases nobody buys light duty diesel passenger SUVs and Trucks. They sell very few compared to gas. Most people who buy a diesel go for the 3/4 ton or 1 ton.

problem is, its still a "Dodge"
Which also happens to be one of the nicest best built trucks on the road, and continues to win awards.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
The light duty 1/2 ton truck diesel is an interesting gap. Diesel in everything bigger, and plenty of people are buying diesel cars all over the world, even a few in the states now.

·
Contractor
7,807 Posts
Diesel engines are much more efficient. I would like to see more mid-size trucks with diesel engines.

As an aside, there was recently a fuel inefficiency test between a Prius, and a Mercedes with their BlueTec diesel. The Mercedes beat the Prius in a head to head competition.....and, it's a Mercedes.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
i had a mazda 3 rental the other day whilst truck was in shop and the thing was getting 43mpg on the highway on a long trip. i think the prius only gets a few more MPG than that mazda yet you dont like like a tool driving it lol.

The problem with Diesel engines that size is you dont get that much better MPG. I think that ram was rated as 22MPG with that engine option. Good for a truck but gassers are getting 22MPG but with more TQ and HP and higher tow capacity's to boot. Back when most gassers were NA Diesel had the advantage because of the extra TQ but now we got forced induction gassers the gap has closed a lot.

·
Sophisticated Siding Guy.
528 Posts
I've owned several f-150's 2006, 2008, and on my second 2011. They have never left me stranded.

My 2006 had 186,000 miles on it with very little maintanence. My first 2011 had 90,000 miles on it without a single repair. Same brakes etc. I only got rid of it because I wanted a 4 door.

·
Registered
585 Posts
i had a mazda 3 rental the other day whilst truck was in shop and the thing was getting 43mpg on the highway on a long trip. i think the prius only gets a few more MPG than that mazda yet you dont like like a tool driving it lol.

The problem with Diesel engines that size is you dont get that much better MPG. I think that ram was rated as 22MPG with that engine option. Good for a truck but gassers are getting 22MPG but with more TQ and HP and higher tow capacity's to boot. Back when most gassers were NA Diesel had the advantage because of the extra TQ but now we got forced induction gassers the gap has closed a lot.
If it wasn't for such strict emission regulations on the diesels I bet that ram would be doing closer to 30 US MPG.

My 05 5.9l cummins, all it has is an EGR, has seen 26 imp MPG on long trips.

My former boss' 6.7l 2012 never does much better than 16... I've heard with the "delete kits" they'll do well over 20.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tgeb said:
diesel engines are much more efficient. I would like to see more mid-size trucks with diesel engines. As an aside, there was recently a fuel inefficiency test between a prius, and a mercedes with their bluetec diesel. The mercedes beat the prius in a head to head competition.....and, it's a mercedes.

Engine Website Vehicle Technology Car

·
Registered
258 Posts
It's a Fiat Ram:rolleyes:
Not quite, that truck was designed well before Fiat came into the picture. Its funny on some automotive groups I see all these Americans crying that a Foreign company owns/runs Chrysler now. Where were all the wealthy yanks when the company was up for grabs? Probably investing money in China.:whistling

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
BCConstruction said:
i had a mazda 3 rental the other day whilst truck was in shop and the thing was getting 43mpg on the highway on a long trip. i think the prius only gets a few more MPG than that mazda yet you dont like like a tool driving it lol. The problem with Diesel engines that size is you dont get that much better MPG. I think that ram was rated as 22MPG with that engine option. Good for a truck but gassers are getting 22MPG but with more TQ and HP and higher tow capacity's to boot. Back when most gassers were NA Diesel had the advantage because of the extra TQ but now we got forced induction gassers the gap has closed a lot.
I bet my diesel has 3 times the torque as your truck, in fact I'd like to see a gasser that is even close to a diesel truck for torque or hp.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
jlsconstruction said:
I bet my diesel has 3 times the torque as your truck, in fact I'd like to see a gasser that is even close to a diesel truck for torque or hp.
like for like your not gonna see a massive difference between a boosted diesel or boosted gasser.

There's 2liter straight 4 gassers that have 1000hp and 900ftlbs TQ. Find me a diesel that does that in them engine specs. TD used to have the advantage because of being turbo charged. A lot of gassers are now turbo charged so the advantage has now gone.

I remember back when people were loving the TD golf GTI's because of them putting out so much power then they bought out the turbo gassers and everyone stopped raving about the diesels.

Like inner says the EB is a beast of a engine. I was in interstate the other say with me mate. He has that engine and I have the 5.4. He pulled away from me at 50 like I was standing still. You not only have the TQ but you have the HP too with that engine.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts