Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The drywall in 3 bedrooms of the house all have this happening at 6' hight. Its not in the kitchen living area yet. It happens on the interior and exterior walls. It does not happen anywhere else. Nothing in the corners, ceiling or 4' down from the area with issue or anywhere other than at 6'. This was a first for me and I really had no good info to mention to the owners.
Brown Rectangle Wood Beige Tints and shades

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
As said above, only seen it in older homes, but I've only seen it on older homes with plaster.

You said drywall, so I assume it is drywall and not veneer plaster. Correct?

This will seem like an odd question to alot of people, but there are areas where plaster is very common and drywall is uncommon.

·
Registered
18,092 Posts
A painter I used was a big fan of gardz. I used it on a bathroom and was laying it on a tad thick. It's hard to tell coverage since it's clear and sucks into the paper. When I finish coated I was getting that kind of reaction. Like an eggshellish.

Totally a long shot but perhaps the a similar sealer was laid on thick and the installer started consistently at the same height before spreading out.

·
Relentless
Space Mining
4,248 Posts
Could be vermin damage (drywall wet from urine. There might be blocking at that height.

·
Registered
12,156 Posts
It looks like it was a wallpaper border installed with an Elmers glue type paste. When the boarder was removed most of the paste was left behind since that is so hard to remove. Many times the 2nd coat of paint makes the glue crackle.
I have run into it before

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It looks like it was a wallpaper border installed with an Elmers glue type paste. When the boarder was removed most of the paste was left behind since that is so hard to remove. Many times the 2nd coat of paint makes the glue crackle.
I have run into it before
The owners have been the only owners and they say its original paint with no boarder.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As said above, only seen it in older homes, but I've only seen it on older homes with plaster.

You said drywall, so I assume it is drywall and not veneer plaster. Correct?

This will seem like an odd question to alot of people, but there are areas where plaster is very common and drywall is uncommon.
It is just drywall which is the norm in my area and this is a very typical home in the area and a builder I am familiar with

·
Radical Basement Dweller
36,149 Posts
Shot in the dark...
Just watched a short video on how it's made.
Pretty cool operation....
It does seem though that at a few points during production, it's feasible for something to be a little off and some sheets at the exact same point get compromised.
A paper contaminant...the slurry dispenser not functioning properly, etc, etc....
Maybe something not noticed on a batch delivery.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shot in the dark...
It does seem though that at a few points during production, it's feasible for something to be a little off and some sheets at the exact same point get compromised.
A paper contaminant...the slurry dispenser not functioning properly, etc, etc....
Just a thought.
This is along the lines I am thinking. One bad batch of mud even. My thought is scrape off everything that will come. Oil prime. Patch/prime/paint and hope for the best. I have a feeling more will show up in time but we will see.

·
Registered
12,156 Posts
Shot in the dark...
Just a thought.
All of the sheets installed would have to be installed in the exact same direction, meaning the same edge up or down. That would be possible but how likely? If the defect was in the middle of the sheet it would show every 4 ft.

Im still going with border paste

One of those mysteries

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
What is the ceiling ht?
If 9 to 10 ft, might have horizontal joint at that height, with joint at 4' down, & floor up at 4'.
If so, it may be a result of too much residual moisture in joints when painted.

One way or another I doubt it's in the middle of a 4' sheet.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Been thinking about this.
I've seen a few drywallers add soap to their mud. Dishwashing soap, they put in a fair amount. They say it works easier.

Personally I've never been a fan of that. If anything ever goes wrong, bad batch of mud for example, the company won't do anything about it. You can't add any additives to the mud and expect the company to honor any type of warranty. (In reality, how often does a warranty issue with drywall mud come up?)

What if you have a seam there, because of the 9' ceilings, and they added something to the mud? I have seen guys hang a full sheet at the top, a full one at the bottom, and cut a section in the middle. Plasterers prefer this because its easier to work the seam. They don't have to bend over as much. Drywall is a little different because of the tapered edges. Blueboard didn't always have tapered edges.

Just a thought. Maybe a wide drywall taped seam and something was added to the mud.

·
Stelzer Painting Inc.
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor, Christmas Light Installer
218 Posts
Or a longshot, but if the doors or other trim work were leaned up against the wall during the finishing phase, and those products happen to be incompatible with the topcoats, it could explain it.

·
Relentless
Space Mining
4,248 Posts
I'm sticking to my guns on the rodent expressway. I know how to get to the bottom of it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts