Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
special ed
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother in-law is building a new house to look like an old farm house.
He whats to use 15" wide pine boards with a square edges ,the boards were purchased from a local mill and been air dried for 5 years are quarter sawn.
He whats to face nail using cut nails to install them over 3/4" plywood install over floor trusses on 12"center.
The boards are really flat for width which is amazing to me.
My question is should he glue them down ,if so with what type of glue.
Also nail spacing I think at least 4 nails maybe 5 on every other joist.
Myself I have rarely seen any material this wide or had experience working with it, personally I would have a hard time using it for flooring it's just to nice to walk on that's the carpenter in me I guess
Forgot to mention part of floor is over a heated basement and the remaining is over a insulated crawl space.
Any thoughts would be appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
PLP is one option, if the subfloor is very clean, i would even consider tightbond wood glue, very few glues works as well on wood surfaces as wood glue. 15" is a wide board, my concerns would be movement and checking, even though the stuff has been dried i would allow extra time for the wood to acclimate on the jobsite, in the room. G

·
special ed
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yea already told him it should be acclimating and as for checking or defects thats not a concern that's the look he whats you know old farm house.
then there will be black stains were its nailed with cut nails over time and gaps along the edges

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
They do alot of those type floors around here and it's done exactly as you say.

PLP glue and cut nails. Usually beat the tar out of the floors also to get that authentic old look to it. Chains, hammer marks, drop boards on it.....everything. The mire beat up it is the better.

15" is not unusual. I hope it's nominal about an inch thick, not 3/4.

We have some 28" wide in our house underneath, but we have a true old farmhouse.

Quarter sawn pine eh? That's unusual.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
My brother in-law is building a new house to look like an old farm house.
He whats to use 15" wide pine boards with a square edges ,the boards were purchased from a local mill and been air dried for 5 years are quarter sawn.
He whats to face nail using cut nails to install them over 3/4" plywood install over floor trusses on 12"center.
The boards are really flat for width which is amazing to me.
My question is should he glue them down ,if so with what type of glue.
Also nail spacing I think at least 4 nails maybe 5 on every other joist.
Myself I have rarely seen any material this wide or had experience working with it, personally I would have a hard time using it for flooring it's just to nice to walk on that's the carpenter in me I guess
Forgot to mention part of floor is over a heated basement and the remaining is over a insulated crawl space.
Any thoughts would be appreciated thanks.
Do me a favor a take a picture after the install and another six months later.

·
special ed
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A picture i can ask him to but i'am not driving for 4 hours to take one for you sorry cdat

framerman the material is 1 inch thick thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts