Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fixing to order a Stiletto but I'm undecided on which one. I have heard that the wood handle on the 16 oz is thicker where it goes through the head thus making it more durable. Any truth to this? Give me some guidance here guys. I have always been an Estwing user but I'm wanting to give the wood/titanium a try. Two friends of mine use the 14oz version and love them but they have never used the 16oz.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Ti-bone is too much coin for me lol. Well unless I fall in love with titanium.
Got to pay to play !

I used to go through 2-3 hammers a year at $35 per/hammer

I've had my same Ti-bone for over 9 years now. You can pick them up on sale for $100 bucks every now and then. Money well spent. I build alot of post-frame buildings so I need to have a hammer that I can pry with and swing all day without blowing out my elbow.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Wish we had Stiletto's back when I was production framing...:thumbsup:

Them 28 & 32 oz Vaughn's were killer....

The Riggin' axe was pretty cool though...:thumbup:

·
We Put Poles In Holes
206 Posts
Got to pay to play !

I've had my same Ti-bone for over 9 years now. You can pick them up on sale for $100 bucks every now and then. Money well spent. I build alot of post-frame buildings so I need to have a hammer that I can pry with and swing all day without blowing out my elbow.
Just had a conversation about elbows and using a hammer a lot on another thread. Guys couldn't believe I hand nailed purlins.

To the OP I swing a 16oz wood handled titanium Dalluge. I'd compare it to a stilleto any day.

·
Super Moderator
28,831 Posts
I like the Tibone a lot. The only thing its not as good for is moving lumber. The weight does make a difference there.

·
Super Moderator
10,671 Posts
Got to pay to play !

Cmon!

2-3 hammers per year? Ridiculous. I frame every single day and get 7-10 years our of an Estwing. They are as durable as they come. I do think the TBones are nice hammers, but trying to spin it as a money maker is just nonsense.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Estwing's are rubbish.

Pull the trigger. I have a 14oz wood handled titanium. I'd maybe go for the 16oz if I were you.
Just do it. You'll be glad you did.

·
Super Moderator
10,671 Posts
Estwing's are rubbish.

Pull the trigger. I have a 14oz wood handled titanium. I'd maybe go for the 16oz if I were you.
Just do it. You'll be glad you did.
We have a thread here where we passed around a titanium hammer for guys to use. No one really liked the hammer. Most were impressed by a 30 year old wood handled steel axe that was added to the mix. I have seen and used a few titanium hammers. I will stick with my Estwing which has proved efficient, useful, and durable for 30 years. Most days a hammer sees very little use compared to the old days anyways.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Just had a conversation about elbows and using a hammer a lot on another thread. Guys couldn't believe I hand nailed purlins.

To the OP I swing a 16oz wood handled titanium Dalluge. I'd compare it to a stilleto any day.

I'd definitely go with the wood dalluge over a wood stilleto since the head runs through the middle of the handle. gotta be stronger. plus side nail puller.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
I'd definitely go with the wood dalluge over a wood stilleto since the head runs through the middle of the handle. gotta be stronger. plus side nail puller.
That Pos stiletto that is getting passed around is mine. IT is terrible.

I switched to the dalluge smooth face by far the best hammer I have used.

Cole

·
GC/carpenter
43,888 Posts

Best damn hammer in the history of the world right here. The 16oz Dalluge Titanium

Claw hammer Stonemason's hammer Hammer Tool Ball-peen hammer

1 - 20 of 51 Posts