Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 60 different 12x10 decks with no steps to bid on for a property manager. How much would you charge per deck to pressure wash and stain. This includes spindles, rails and floors. I'm new to bidding these type of projects, I came up with $425 each but it seems to high to me. What do you think. :Thumbs:

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
I came up with $364 per deck. Obviously that is a very rough estimate as I havn't seen the deck. This is with power wash and up to 3 coats of stain. Raling and deck surface only. About a 7-8 hour job, per deck, depending on your skill level.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Are they new..no existing stain?

I think the 350-450 is in the right range for a detailed job..apply cleaner/wash/neutralize/once over for loose screws/nails/splinters fuzzies etc. But I think the manager probably doesn't care about a detailed job.. they hardly ever think about anything but price..and is probably thinking in the 200-250 or less range. I hope I'm wrong but you may laugh when he/she tells you what the budget is. I'm just guessing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I agree with Dale. We did 250 condo units once. The decks had to be washed and stained as well. We spent about 30 mins per deck washing and about 40 min. per deck using clear sealer. We put it into a pump sprayer and sprayed away. If we missed a spot- nobdy cared. $350 per deck-- the manager will smile and say he got a price for less than half. Got to remember, they are not homeowners and they don't care how it looks, just how cheap it is. BTW we use a Simpson tool for washing. It is a circular thing with a spining head. Like a floor scrubber. Retails around $750 and will make you $$ on your first deck

·
Registered
960 Posts
AHS said:
I have 60 different 12x10 decks with no steps to bid on for a property manager. How much would you charge per deck to pressure wash and stain. This includes spindles, rails and floors. I'm new to bidding these type of projects, I came up with $425 each but it seems to high to me. What do you think. :Thumbs:
For a home owner with just one deck it sounds about right, for a condo complex with 60 decks it will be to high (in my area of the mid west that is) This is assuming you are cleaning and not stripping the failed finish and applying 1 coat of a contractor grade semi transparent stain/ preservative.

I just lost a bid last month at for a complex at the Lake of the Ozarks for 15,000 square foot clean and seal (almost all of it was cat walks and railing). I only bid it at $9,000, because I am a wholesale distributor for deck restoration products and wanted them showcased, and I still lost the damn thing.

Here is a very simple and very rough estimating sheet that I have been working on. It is still being tweaked and is far from perfect. As you can tell it was not designed for multiple levels of decks, but more for organizing my notes in the office before writing the proposal. This is for my area of the country. As you know already some people charge more....some less.

This estimating sheet assumes that you are applying a commercial grade deck cleaner or stripper such as HD80, power washing with no more than 900 PSI, and low pressure spraying/ back brushing 1 coat of contractor grade semi transparent oil based sealant like Wood Tux.

Floor

Length_________ x Width__________= _______ Square Foot

Hand Rail
(sealing all sides of the spindles, hand rail cap/ trim piece, upper post and band board)

Length__________ x 5 =________Square Foot

Support Posts
(only portion below band board to the ground)

Length__________ x 2 =________Square Foot

Stairs
(up to 4’ wide with up to 3 stair stringers factored)

Number of Steps__________ x 15 =________Square Foot

Pricing

Total Square Footage____________x $1.50 labor and material = $___________

Miscellaneous Add On’s

~ Moving items off of the deck and back on after completion = $5 + for each item moved
~ Extra masking or tarping due to extenuating circumstances = $75 +
~ No exterior access available or access is extremely difficult = $100 +
~ Multiple layers of unknown stain, paint or acrylic sealer = $150 +
~ Extremely hard to please customer = $100 +
~ Very expensive flowers or bushes right next to the deck = $100 +

Best of Luck

Jesse R. Kirchhoff

Advanced Power Washing and Restoration Services LLC
Professional Products ~ Professional Service ~ Professional Results
www.advancedpw.com

Kirchhoff Handyman Solutions LLC
“Making Your Life A Lot Less Complicated”
www.midmohandyman.com

·
Registered
960 Posts
Humble Abode said:
I came up with $364 per deck. Obviously that is a very rough estimate as I havn't seen the deck. This is with power wash and up to 3 coats of stain. Raling and deck surface only. About a 7-8 hour job, per deck, depending on your skill level.
Hi Eugene,

I was just wondering what kind of stain you were using that takes up to 3 coats? I know Ready Seal takes 2-3 coats and is a deep penetrating sealer like Wood tux but most people have never heard of it.

Thanks,
Best of Luck

Jesse R. Kirchhoff

www.advancedpw.com

www.midmohandyman.com

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Jesse Kirchhoff said:
Hi Eugene,

I was just wondering what kind of stain you were using that takes up to 3 coats? I know Ready Seal takes 2-3 coats and is a deep penetrating sealer like Wood tux but most people have never heard of it.

Thanks,
Best of Luck

Jesse R. Kirchhoff
Jesse,

I said three coats of oil based as kind of a worst case senario bid, I would probably only go with 1, 2 tops.

After I posted I realized also that if I was doing 60 of these decks I would probably give a slight discount. With 1 or 2 coats of stain/sealer that would bring my estimate down to the $250 range. I probable wouldn't do it for less than $250.

BTW I like the estimate break down Jesse, thats very helpful.

-Joe
(lol I was wondering where you got the name Eugene until I looked at my sig. Eugene Debs was a famous labor organizer back when that position meant something in this country. He ran for president in 1909. Thats a quote of his I like. :) )

·
Registered
960 Posts
Hey Joe,

Sorry about calling you Eugene.

I said three coats of oil based as kind of a worst case senario bid, I would probably only go with 1, 2 tops.
What sealer do you prefer? Most contractors around here have used TWP or Cabbats up until now. For a while I used Wolmans because of their certification program. Well everybody and their brother is Wolman certified because it is open book.:rolleyes: Around here the color also fades after 8-12 months of direct sun and the mildew takes over once again.

BTW I like the estimate break down Jesse, thats very helpful.
It helps me keep a handle on material and labor costs. Using those numbers a $1.50 may be a little high per square foot if you are not actively marketing deck restoration and preservation. On very large decks or cedar siding I always come down on the price accordingly.

If you are strictly brushing your decks the square footage will be to high on material because of the waste factor.

Jesse R. Kirchhoff

www.advancedpw.com

www.midmohandyman.com

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Jesse Kirchhoff said:
Hey Joe,

Sorry about calling you Eugene.
not a problem :)

Jesse Kirchhoff said:
What sealer do you prefer?
We use a deck stainer/sealer from ABR. It's a product my paint guy reccomended to me a while back. They sell it at the local Wisconsin paint store Hallman/Lindsay.

ABR reccomends 2 coats, but it still only lasts about two to three years in high traffic areas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts