Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
3rd Generation
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently in my shop I have my cabinet saw set up as 110v with an appropriate 120 twist lock plug and a drop coming from the ceiling. I just got a new jointer which is currently wired for 220 and is set up next to the cabinet saw. If I wanted to change the wiring for the cabinet saw and use the same drop, can I keep the twist lock plugs? Is there any real internal difference between 120 and 220 ends? Am I being unsafe to save a few bucks on new twist lock ends? (I think they were $20 each)

Attachments

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
There is a different end, NEMA has a different standard for each end to prevent idiots from plugging in mis-matched things.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Used to use a homemade bastard cord with 15amp 220V male with 120v female so I could run my dual voltage motered brick saw and mixer using my existing 120Volt cordage.

I'd leave the job and lazy subs would "steal" my cord and proceed to blow up their expensive electric tools.(cheap ones don't seem to care on voltage):cool:

After being OSHAed not so much, but getting 100% "legal" can cost hundreds for 240V GFIs and the correct amperage ends.

30 years ago on a grain bin service call I plugged a 200.00$ drill into a 15amp 120v outlet, Ooops cheap farmer saved 1.00$ and wired his 1.5HP 220 Volt Bin fan through the 120 V duplex outlet. Checked outlet voltages for decades after....

One I forgot or friend/relative using your shop=dead tools.

Cheaper but safe, wire a 120V and 240v outlet side by side on the same 240 Volt circut, just never run both tools at the same time....

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
You may need a J120-240 brass knuckle phase shifting coupler if you plan to use that plug....:whistling

Or just go and buy the appropriate mating plug and receptacle for a 240v line for machinery.

;)

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
It's not inherently unsafe. It's just really, really dumb.
Get the right ends and breaker.

Do you plan on not using the saw any more? I am confused. You make it seem like you want to switch back and for, which is NOT happening conveniently.

·
3rd Generation
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Point taken. Even though there's nothing else around that's 120 twist lock, I was looking to change the saw over to 220 also, so I think I'll just buy some new ends.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts