Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran into a guy using a 12" roller cover up in NJ. I live in va and can't find one anywhere. I don't even really HAVE to have one but would like to try one out. Any thoughts? Chop saw?

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
I'm sure if you really wanted one you could find one online.

BTW I run 18" rollers for larger interior jobs. Get a lot of paint on the wall pretty quick.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I would think it depends on the size of the walls to be painted. I would think in a residential setting their efficiency would be lost due to all the small areas where they wouldn't fit.

I got to use the 18" roller on an exterior commercial job years ago and it swore me off them. We were back rolling behind a sprayer and I found a standard 9" could keep up better with less fatigue.

The not for me but to each their own.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Like I said its not something I really need, but like to play around with different products. A 9" inch is good, 18" too much, so is 12" perfection? I dunno. Probably not.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
I would think it depends on the size of the walls to be painted. I would think in a residential setting their efficiency would be lost due to all the small areas where they wouldn't fit.

I got to use the 18" roller on an exterior commercial job years ago and it swore me off them. We were back rolling behind a sprayer and I found a standard 9" could keep up better with less fatigue.

The not for me but to each their own.
I thought the same at first but they are not as cumbersome as you would think. I only use them on interior jobs. We paint a lot of stucco here for exterior. 1 1/4" nap wool 9". I wouldn't want to back roll with an 18" x 1 1/4" nap :no: lol

·
Registered
11,826 Posts
I ran into a guy using a 12" roller cover up in NJ. I live in va and can't find one anywhere. I don't even really HAVE to have one but would like to try one out. Any thoughts? Chop saw?
I'm in Northern VA and just picked up a 12" at HD (there's not much selection). I planned to experiment, too, but got lazy and called a crew that I know. There's always one of their guys using an 18".

·
Registered
Remodel
32,189 Posts
You can buy then at Home Depot around here, but they're really cheap covers.

Personally I use a heavy 9" frame, and usually cut down 18" covers to 12 -14" My 12" pan will actually handle a 13.5 " cover just fine. I use the 12" pan for pretty much everything until I make the jump to 18" pan, frame, cover. Much lighter than 18" and a lot more versatile.

Using the 9" frame, you can still roll into corners at 12" or 14". You have to get used to the pressure, since the handle is offset from the center of the roller cover.

I used to haul all kinds of frame sizes with me, but storing and hauling one of everything wasn't worth the effort.

·
Registered
Remodel
32,189 Posts
There aren't many manufacturers of 12" covers from what I've seen. Wooster and Purdy both make 14 and 18 covers, so I go for the selection available in the longer covers, then cut down and taper the cut edge.

13-14" for a ceiling in a 12X12 room goes pretty fast. I almost never have to go below 12" for walls except for possibly kitchens and baths.

·
Registered
Remodel
32,189 Posts
This is the frame I have. Adjustable.
I avoid using those for anything but 18" covers. I can't get really tight to anything with one, and can't roll into a corner, so it takes less time to roll but more time to cut. That's just my way, and there are a bunch of ways to get paint on the walls. The majority of the time I'm rolling out of a 12" pan with a 9" frame and 12-13.5" cover.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
I avoid using those for anything but 18" covers. I can't get really tight to anything with one, and can't roll into a corner, so it takes less time to roll but more time to cut. That's just my way, and there are a bunch of ways to get paint on the walls. The majority of the time I'm rolling out of a 12" pan with a 9" frame and 12-13.5" cover.
Most definitely....always more than one way to skin a cat.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
488 Posts
I have heard they have 14" rollers now but I haven't found one yet. The advantage it is supposed to have over an 18 is it takes a regular style frame, open on the end so it gets closer in the corners.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.