Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i bought one of these 12 inch dual bevel sliding ridgid compound miter saws with the 70° miter. The saw has every feature you could possably ever want or never need. None of that maters if the blabe wobbles so bad the it looks like I made the cut with my teath. So i returned the thing got a new one. Open the box and all the gear oil leaked out in the box. I unpacked it anyway the bevel mechanism is binding and tight. The blade wobble about half as much as the first saw. Ill cut something with it today to see how bad it is then bring it back. So now the question is shall try to find one that work properly. Just test them in the parking lot or just go with they are all crap and all those people that say graet saw have never used a real saw worth anything. Put it this way i have a harbor freight 10 inch slider I use for click lock flooring and that cuts at least 5 times better. So if you have one of these saws that works let me know. I dont trust the yahos that do them reviews.:no: I just find it hard to beleive that ridgid would make all these features and go that blade wobbles no big deal maybe no one will notice.:blink:

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have an old Chop Saw of theres from years ago. It is stout.

But after some issue with there drills and batteries, they only item I ever bought that was Ridgid again was a belt sander, and that was only because I needed on in a pinch.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Buy once cry once. Not to say Ridgid doesn't make any tools that are quality/work but there's a reason jobsites are loaded with guys using DeWalt, Festool, Bosch, and Makita CMS's.

·
improving homes
1,034 Posts
I bought the bosch glider a few months ago and love it. I also looked pretty hard at the ridgid because on paper it seems like an amazing saw, especially for the price. But there are MANY horrible reviews of it out there. I decided that for a miter saw I use it enough and more importantly it's a tool that you have to have perfect cuts when doing finish trim in order to look nice. To me it wasn't worth it to try and save a couple bucks. It was tough because I needed it on a job that I had already blown the tool budget out of the water on but I needed it and the pain of the price only lasted a short time.

There were also some negative reviews for the bosch but I went with it anyway and have been very happy.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I'd suggest doing some reading on miter saw tune ups before giving it a yay or nay. First thing i do with every piece of equipment like that is get a quality blade and tune it up, never once had a saw come out of the box that didn't need some adjustments with a file or set screws.

This is pretty much the procedure I follow:
http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2010/07/23/miter-saw-tune-up/

Followed by blade/arbor runout calibration with a dial indicator.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
having two bad ones ,or trying twice might be enough .though i had an issue like this with a milwaukee slider also .it took over a year and many calls but finally they replaced it with one that was very accurate . definitly would check them before i left the store if you try again . they have a reputation to protect -contact them directly and see if that helps .

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called ridgid and they said that they have had a few calls and were interasted in talking to me more took my contact info and said that the development team would try to contact me

·
Registered
127 Posts
My old saw died and I debated the new Ridgid 12". I get the "buy once cry once" but when you're a one man show, on a slow month, and need a mitersaw to finish your job you go get the best you can afford. I've been happy with all my Ridgid tools except their battery finish nailer.
I narrowed it down to the Ridgid 10" slider and the 12". But the 10" just felt better. I've been very happy with it. It's been about two months daily use and it's still accurate and smooth. Comes with a diablo blade too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts