Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a job coming up that will require 12 gauge metal studs. When ever we have used them in the past it was limited so we just used heavy duty self tappers, usually 1/4 head tek-5s. This job coming up is a lot of studs so i'm wondering if there is a better more efficient way to fasten them to the track. Like spot welding or tacking them with an arc welder or something? Has anyone tried anything different?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have still not received the finished plan just discussed it over the phone with the architect, and we decided that we will probably need at least on wall bracket in the middle of the stud. The wall is going up in front of existing block work on the interior of the building. Its old and out dated so we are basically furring out the wall and covering it in wonder board so that a new stone veneer can be put up. Thats why such heavy gauge and the need for a bracket.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've done similar walls that had paper stone directly attached to the studs. Didn't require 12 ga studs. I believe it was 20ga actually. With mid span brackets. 8' tall x 16' long. Seems like 12 ga might be a bit much. The backer board will be effectively clamped to the studs with screws. Shear force should be minimal if the backer board and stone veneer is touching the ground. Anyway... Seems like using teks vs welding is going to take similar amount of time. Why incur the extra cost of welding?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This wall is going to be almost 15' tall when finished and two different walls 30' long. And I was thinking maybe welding it would be a little quicker.

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
Depends on what they spec. Discuss welding with the archy.. I usually see the studs screwed off then they will come in and tack everything and thats for structural shear walls. I would just stick with a 10/16" or 1/4" self tapper from hilti. Sharp and fast. I think its being allitle over engineered 16 or 18 ga studs 16 oc is plenty.. With some spazzer bars or chicago bar it will be built like a tank

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
Is it a lite weight stone? Ive seen 2+ layers of 5/8 rock on 20 ga.. Think about it Thats alot of weight for 20 ga... Most of the weight is going to be transfered down. Theres no wind loads right?

In the end its what thhe architect specs.. I think some hilti teks and and framing gun will be faster than pulling out a welder...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts