Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife seen i had a 1x8x16 pine board left over from a job. We live in a doublewide trailer. She wants a 12 foot long shelf 8 foot high on a 10 foot wall. Over top 2 doors.

She also doesnt want any huge brackets holding it up.she wants it painted white to match the trim and wants it to look like its meant to be there.

Anybody have any mounting ideas
Board measures 3/4" x 7-1/4" x 16'

I also have about 35 - 1x6x16 primed pine boards and 20 - 1x4x16 primed mdf boards left over from the same job too. (I get all the leftovers from each job) dont know who done to materials estimate but they obviously measured wrong.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,135 Posts
You aren't going to get a shelf with no brackets to work. Given the materials you have, you should be able to make a long cabinet unit that screws in place (not face frame). Ledger board on the wall.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On top? Didnt think of that.
Was thinking about maybe a ledger board then screwing shelf to bottom then putting small crown around the shelf to kind of hide the ledger board but would that support moderate weight. Shes gonna use it for knick knacks

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I also have about 35 - 1x6x16 primed pine boards and 20 - 1x4x16 primed mdf boards left over from the same job too. (I get all the leftovers from each job) dont know who done to materials estimate but they obviously measured wrong.
Geee, ya think? Lmao

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
return board to store. Get money back.

On the way home with the money, BUY beer and earplugs.

problem solved.
Only problem the company i work for makes the boards themselves or at least primes them

But very very very good idea

·
Registered
20 Posts
Get some long Timber Lock screws then put them in at a slit angle. than cut the heads off with a cutoff tool. drill holes in your 1x8 put a little Pl in the holes than slide it on in. We do this all the time with wood mantels.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Get some long Timber Lock screws then put them in at a slit angle. than cut the heads off with a cutoff tool. drill holes in your 1x8 put a little Pl in the holes than slide it on in. We do this all the time with wood mantels.
Basically screw hanger bolts in the studs and drill holes in side of 1x8 and slide it on the bolts??? Will that hold?

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
Bend 1" flat stock into L brackets, screw to top of board, notch drywall for opposite leg of bracket, tape and mud to cover, paint exposed metal to match shelf. 10' off the floor, you can't see the top anyway.........

1 - 20 of 26 Posts