Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

121 - 140 of 198 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,786 Posts
Your a good dude, Mike. Not bagging on you.

Just dont understand the entitlement you are advocating.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
You are correct. Without government intervention, the free market fixes itself.

I dont have fear. Period.

I have reality. Employees will always want more and feel entitled to more. So what.....

If I pay a bit more than market price, take care of my men, pay vacation for my lead men and holidays for all, I get the pick of the litter. I know that for a fact.
Nothing you just said has any relevance to this.

This is NOT about you. Why are you continually repeating what you make or don't make?

My God, it's as of nobody understands capitalism at all.

People go on strike. Who cares? Lol

This has been on the news every year since I can remember.

·
GC/carpenter
40,543 Posts
Mike, I don't think anyone is complaining about someone wanting more money, it's the government forcing me to pay more when the market doesn't.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
Your a good dude, Mike. Not bagging on you.

Just dont understand the entitlement you are advocating.
It's not an entitlement, my God, what is wrong with you? Where on earth did you get entitlement from? Can you image where we'd be if only employers could set wages? That's worse than Communism.

Can you imagine how ruined this country would be if people could decide what jobs were important and which ones weren't and who gets paid this and who gets paid that.

I guess I'll yield and let you guys duke out. This is basic fundamental capitalism where employees and employers battle and find balance. It all works out and none of it matters.

·
Super Moderator
25,786 Posts
Nothing you just said has any relevance to this.

This is NOT about you. Why are you continually repeating what you make or don't make?

My God, it's as of nobody understands capitalism at all.

People go on strike. Who cares? Lol

This has been on the news every year since I can remember.
DUDE, you brought my practices up when you asked what I do for my hands. I ONLY HAVE CONTROL OVER WHAT I DO.

Do you have employees? ??

Do you have tight spot in your gut when chit is slowing down and you have men whos families you know by name on YOUR payroll? If so , you would understand my defensivness. I am proud my men make a good living.

Dont start what you cant finish. I am 100% confident that my men are well compensated. Can YOU say that for your men?

Pm me and ill give you my crews phone numbers. I have zero to hide.

Easy to say one thing while you have no payroll to meet or families to provide for, Mike.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
DUDE, you brought my practices up when you asked what I do for my hands. I ONLY HAVE CONTROL OVER WHAT I DO.

Do you have employees? ??

Do you have tight spot in your gut when chit is slowing down and you have men whos families you know by name on YOUR payroll? If so , you would understand my defensivness. I am proud my men make a good living.

Dont start what you cant finish. I am 100% confident that my men are well compensated. Can YOU say that for your men?

Pm me and ill give you my crews phone numbers. I have zero to hide.

Easy to say one thing while you have no payroll to meet or families to provide for, Mike.
My question was on wages. Period. Nothing more. This thread was never about what jaws makes and how hard he works. I asked what EMPLOYEES made 20 years ago and what EMPLOYEES make now. And by employee i meant carpenter.

The discussion about you and me and our business? Totally irrelevant to the discussion of employees going on strike.

Stop making it about that.

·
Super Moderator
25,786 Posts
My question was on wages. Period. Nothing more. This thread was never about what jaws makes and how hard he works. I asked what EMPLOYEES made 20 years ago and what EMPLOYEES make now. And by employee i meant carpenter.

The discussion about you and me and our business? Totally irrelevant to the discussion of employees going on strike.

Stop making it about that.
Like I said. Carpenter wages are what they were 20 years ago, primarily.

It sucks. .

Raising a fry cooks wages wont change that.

Sorry if I misunderstood your post's.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
Jaws. Don't answer. I read everything you previously wrote and came to the conclusion you keep moving this thread towards issues other than the topic. Your changing things so much I literally can't keep up with the craziness.

·
Super Moderator
25,786 Posts
It's not an entitlement, my God, what is wrong with you? Where on earth did you get entitlement from? Can you image where we'd be if only employers could set wages? That's worse than Communism.

Can you imagine how ruined this country would be if people could decide what jobs were important and which ones weren't and who gets paid this and who gets paid that.

I guess I'll yield and let you guys duke out. This is basic fundamental capitalism where employees and employers battle and find balance. It all works out and none of it matters.
If "I" is an employer could individually set carpenters wages? There would be more carpenters.

·
Super Moderator
25,786 Posts
Jaws. Don't answer. I read everything you previously wrote and came to the conclusion you keep moving this thread towards issues other than the topic. Your changing things so much I literally can't keep up with the craziness.
Say what you want.

I dont read any of my posts as off subject. I took your asking what carpenters make as a an attack, because I employ carpenters, and I feel they arent paid enough, although I truly pay above market wages.

The point of the thread is, burger flippers are minimum wage. What you set that minimum wage at is irregardless. It will fluctuate accordingly.

I am a bit frazzled. Too much bidding. Im stir crazy and bored chitless. Regardless, my posts arent off subject imo.

·
GC/carpenter
40,543 Posts
Jaws said:
If "I" is an employer could individually set carpenters wages? There would be more carpenters.
Damn I'm thinking about coming out there and running your decking division.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
Say what you want.

I dont read any of my posts as off subject. I took your asking what carpenters make as a an attack, because I employ carpenters, and I feel they arent paid enough, although I truly pay above market wages.

The point of the thread is, burger flippers are minimum wage. What you set that minimum wage at is irregardless. It will fluctuate accordingly.

I am a bit frazzled. Too much bidding. Im stir crazy and bored chitless. Regardless, my posts arent off subject imo.
Off subject to the topic, just like comparing your business to mine. Don't. Because that's stupid. It's irrelevant.

You took it as an attack. Don't. It wasn't. This is a discussion, not a dam attack!!!

The point of the question was to illustrate how wages have not gone up......IN EVERY SINGLE INDUSTRY!!!!!!!!!

That was my point. Don't read in to it. Dammit.

These threads always get this way.

·
Super Moderator
25,786 Posts
Off subject to the topic, just like comparing your business to mine. Don't. Because that's stupid. It's irrelevant.

You took it as an attack. Don't. It wasn't. This is a discussion, not a dam attack!!!

The point of the question was to illustrate how wages have not gone up......IN EVERY SINGLE INDUSTRY!!!!!!!!!

That was my point. Don't read in to it. Dammit.

These threads always get this way.
Your right, hoss. I re read the thread. I am defensive. Because I feel ALL trades should be paid better.

I am admittedly stressed out and looking for a fight tonight :laughing:

·
Registered
965 Posts
It seems to be a stigma with many folks now days if a person goes to work & gets dirty or does any type of manual labor, skilled or not.

Kids in High School are made to feel inferior if they do not go to college.
When I was in high school I don't recall ever having pressure of getting a college degree.

In fact they advocated getting a trade, I recall allot of career days where they had mechanics, land surveyors, and so forth, sure there was expos for other options such as university and college and the military but there was never the pressure of get a degree or you're worthless.

Then again I did go to a country school, perhaps town and city schools are different.

·
General Contractor
7,898 Posts
So that's $12.50/hour... looks like the fast-food employees need to learn a thing or two...
They're, but for 12.50 in hour they will dig a footing for an addition and they won't even blink. I know this builder he gets them all the time, he has a crew of about 4 guys, so he will make them dig a crawl space... When I was talking to him and he was telling me this I told him are you nuts... why don't you get a backhoe and be done with it. So he tells me ohhh no, they love to dig :laughing:

·
Registered
Custom
12,564 Posts
When did the responsibility for what you earn shift to someone else? (rhetorical)...

If you are not going to improve your skill set, and others do, why should a burger flipper make as much as the average construction worker?

If you rely on the government to set your wage in the private sector, you are guaranteed to ALWAYS be on the low end of the income stream...

The ones who ride the income waves learn how to swim... there's no other way... don't want to learn to swim, then you'll ALWAYS be in the shallow end doing the minimum...

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Obviously you guys have never ran the drive through order window and mcdonalds at breakfast time. None of you would be able to handle it, you'd all quit. We work hard at our jobs and appreciate them. We deserve to be paid more.

Yes, I actually heard that on the radio from someone giving an interview about going on strike.

I say, let's see how tough you are, come dress warm and join me outside for the day.

121 - 140 of 198 Posts