Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I have $11k for a used pickup truck.

I don't need 4WD and I'm looking for something with less than 65K miles if possible.

So, what should I buy?

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Ford F series because they were (are) so popular it makes the parts very cheap and quite readily available when maintenance is required.

Regardless, buy American.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
For $11K, the world should be your oyster. I bought my last vans before the oil crunch and paid 12-16 for them, 1 yr. old., 14-16K Mi.
I'm not looking now, but with gas at $2.40, I would think that you could find a SWEET deal in your area. There are a lot of housewives driving pickups and SUV's for no reason other than to stand tall.
Look at the dealerships outside of O-Town, lower overhead and lower rent district. May want to check into bank repo's too.
God forgive me, I was car slime for a brief time.
Contractors are only rated a few steps over these guys, in most polls.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Two weeks ago I bought an '04 F250 XLT 4wd ext. cab diesel w/ 30K miles - paid $30K incl. t,t,d. Already had a Rhino liner and was very clean. I found it using autotrader.com which I thought was just great. Lots and lots of vehicles and good search tools. After driving a Ford for two years now I don't think I'd be comfortable going back to a GM truck - too little cab space and too low a ride. Good luck.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I forgot to mention fleet/commercial dealers. Much better prices than local dealerships but you may have to travel a few miles for pickup.
Google ' commercial pickups, Orlando' and see what happens. The further away, the better the deal will be. You also have to be a negoiator, if you're a laydown, you will get burned wherever you go. Don't be afraid to REALLY lowball at the end of the month, that's when the commissions come in.
I'm fading, we can get back to 'Dealerships 101' tomorrow. Vehicle value will be the topic.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I'm with Teetor on the Fleet Dealers/Liquidators. There area few of them around here and always my first stop when looking for a new vehicle. I too am in the market for a vehicle, but I am just looking for a full sized cargo van to get me through the rest of the year, then next year I will buy a newer one. Never buy new IMO.

Nathan, what will the vehicle be used for? If only estimates I suggest a small sized pickup like a Ranger, Frontier, S10. If you will actually be hauling materials and equipment you better think larger like an f150.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Oh Another piece of advice, if you have a good and cheap mechanic you can check auctions. I regularly go to the City of Chicago fleet vehicle auction and it's full of well used vehicles, but the prices can't be beat.

I have a carpenter friend that goes to auctions to get his trucks. He knows what he wants and knows what they are worth and never waits until he NEEDS one, he buys before he needs one only when he gets a good deal.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Grumpy said:
Nathan, what will the vehicle be used for? If only estimates I suggest a small sized pickup like a Ranger, Frontier, S10. If you will actually be hauling materials and equipment you better think larger like an f150.
I have someone who works for me that does all my painting estimates.
Currently I'm a Construction Manager for a home builder and I'll use the truck to commute and haul stuff (wood, concrete, etc...) every now and then.

I don't think I want a full size truck. Probably mid size if possible so the gas doesn't eat me alive.

What do you guys think of the 2002-2003 Nissan Frontiers? I've seen some striped models with low miles for about $10K.

Teetor... how do I find fleet vehicles?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Nate, I googled this 'used fleet vehicles orlando' and found quite a few spots near you.
One thing about fleet vehicles is that most have been on a maintainence schedule, many come with papers showing what has been done and when. It beats a former private vehicle whos owner really believed that you could get 100K using 'superslicksynthetic, as seen on TV' oil and additive.

·
Registered
60 Posts
How about a used V6 regular cab tundra. If you can find one its a little bigger than the frontier with comparable gas milage and quality thats unmatched by the competition.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I just thought I would post a quick update.

I bought a 2000 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner (regular cab).
It has 17K miles on it and I got it for $10,800.

I didn't believe the miles at first but when I went and saw/drove the truck I think its legit. The truck looks brand new and the CARFAX Report came back clean. I guess it was someones weekend truck or something?

Anyways, I pick it up from the dealer tomorrow after they detail it and I'll post some pictures in a few days.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went to a dealer to look at another car and this one just happened to be there. It had been traded in earlier in the day and still had mud on it and wasn't detailed.

I got a real nice retired sales guy who said they hadn't sent it through the shop to look it over yet but if I wanted it I could have it. They also agreed to fix anything that was wrong on the car when they send it through their inspection process tomorrow. I'm not holding my breath on that but either way its a great deal. Even has a tool box ;)

Here are two pics from my camera phone (very small... sorry)

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Sounds like a good deal, I'm wondering where they buried you. I worked sales for a while, as did Ol'#2. She went on to an F&I manager and I went back to business.
You were hit somewhere, I,m just curious where. PM me.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
sounds great. I've never bought an import truck but came real close last time. test drove the honda p/u and actually liked it. but when I considered what they wanted for what is basically a 1/4 ton truck i figured it wasn't worth it.
next time i'm going to look hard at the toyota/nissan products but doubt i'm going to find anything roomier than the f250 crew cab. good find nathan :Thumbs:

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Teetorbilt said:
Sounds like a good deal, I'm wondering where they buried you. I worked sales for a while, as did Ol'#2. She went on to an F&I manager and I went back to business.
You were hit somewhere, I,m just curious where. PM me.

So, you don't believe in good deals huh?

You may be right... I'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Nice truck. I had a 99 prerunner untill trading up for a new 4wd doublecab Tundra last year. I also had a 95 Tacoma 4wd extended v6. 9 years later I still recieved 5000 on a trade in. The 2wd got me everywhere I needed to go on these Michigan roads and a few places I probably shouldn't have gone. Tacomas are manufactured in Indiana with most parts being made in America and Canada.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts