Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a project..109 yr.old commercial building 2 story .The first floor is rented out to several different businesses in the middle there is a stair way to the upstairs which is completely gutted .Building is 100 feet long and 25 feet wide.
Ok they used a t&g flooring that is 2 inches wide .Well this is not in very good shape . I would like to cover this with plywood and then tile over that ....
I will get pictures in a day or so ..I would love to hear what would be the best way to get this job started
thanks steve

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
Welcome to CT, just a protocol issue for the site:
Go to the introduction section and post a short bit of info about you, your company, your location, etc.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
132 Posts
i dont know if adding plywood backer board and then tile would be a problem or not. You are going to be raising the floors up quite a bit. I would remove/reclaim the flooring and go from there if those boards are bad you probably have other issues underneath that need to be adressed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a project..109 yr.old commercial building 2 story .The first floor is rented out to several different businesses in the middle there is a stair way to the upstairs which is completely gutted .Building is 100 feet long and 25 feet wide.
Ok they used a t&g flooring that is 2 inches wide .Well this is not in very good shape . I would like to cover this with plywood and then tile over that ....
I will get pictures in a day or so ..I would love to hear what would be the best way to get this job started
thanks steve
:clap: Covering it with T&G plywood is a good solution..BUT YOU BETTER check the building codes in that locality, might require fire code, which might affect the type flooring you want to install. Anyhow, if the existing strip wood is curled less than 1/6"...you'll probably be okay, with a minimal overlay...more than a 1/6"...better fill with compound prior to laying new T&G...making sure to lay-out in opposing direction of existing grain. I've had to tackle a few projects like this in the past...and there are other solutions depending on what you are putting on top...like Ardex self leveling compounds...which are good for resilient, carpet or ceramic.
It all kind of depends on how much money the owner wants to spend!!.

·
Dave from Macatawa
277 Posts
Agree with what has been said in previous posts

Check the load bearing capacity before you install more dead load on an unknown structure. What is joist size, spacing, and material?

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
In addition to all the stuff posted above, check for rise/run variances. Skinning the stairs will raise them some. Make sure the total riser variance is within tolerance (generally 3/8" difference between the largest and the smallest) and that run variance is withing tolerance.

Old stairs often violate current code. You may be required to bring them up to code when you re-finish them. Talk to you local building official.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts