Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 95% done with a total/complete/gut reno on a 100 year old house in Sullivan County, NY.

I managed to save several original details, including a stained glass window along the staircase.

Can anyone suggest ways to finish the inside frame area (where it meets the sheetrock)?

Here are some pics.

Thank you.
Cloud Sky Window Building Wood
Art Window Creative arts Stained glass Tints and shades

·
Registered
48 Posts
Custom wood casing would be more typical for the age.

I have put arch bead around them before where the client didn’t want casing. You just leave a 1/8” reveal between the frame and the bead. If you want I can try to dig up a couple pictures. I think the client caulked the reveal later, not sure how that’s holding up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Found these, not stained glass but arched at least.

The mural was a local artists work. This window was for their dog to look out on to the patio from.

Doubt this is the look you’re looking for but wanted to give an idea of what I meant.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
You should be able to get flex molding to match the casing in the rest of the house

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found these, not stained glass but arched at least.

The mural was a local artists work. This window was for their dog to look out on to the patio from.

Doubt this is the look you’re looking for but wanted to give an idea of what I meant.

That is very nice looking! Thank you.

I was thinking that I'd need molding/trim for the face of the sheetrock, like what I have in green (sorry, I don't know the correct term):

Art Symmetry Stained glass Circle Glass

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You should be able to get flex molding to match the casing in the rest of the house

The casing in the rest of the house is simple 1x4 material (.75" x 3.5" actual size).

I am concerned about the bend radius for 3.5" wide stuff.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
30,168 Posts
Why not have a woodworker fabricate a nice frame for it?
Natural wood or painted...would look nice.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Paint grade I'd go with a sheet of mdf as mentioned, shouldn't take too long with a router

·
Registered
Custom
13,767 Posts
Are you going to paint or stain it? Big difference in option... and are you trying to stay with the period or bring it to date?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you going to paint or stain it? Big difference in option... and are you trying to stay with the period or bring it to date?
Going with paint.

I think I passed the project-fatigue threshold and am well into the just-get-it-done phase.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts