Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, maybe not a hundred, but it's going to seem like it till the job is done. We're putting up steel siding on all the used-to-be windows on this building, and will be caulking the J channel all around.

Anyone have any neat tricks for tooling caulk on brick and concrete? I don't think I have enough spit for the job. :sick:

And... I've always sneered at those powered caulk guns, but if there's a place for them, this is it. I'd appreciate hearing from those who have experience with them. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I haven't done THAT much caulk ,but I always use a sponge and water bucket.

MURDER on the sponge and several passes to remove the excess.

I'm sure you knew that though.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
A can or pail with water and
dish soap.......
and buy Fast Orange hand cleaner
by the gallon. :laughing:
The pneumatic guns have a steep
learning curve, but if you want
to buy in bulk.....
I've used a few of the battery
powered ones, but not enough
to recommend one or another.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Maybe a case of nitrile gloves?

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys; I think I'll be trying rags rather than sponges. I don't own enough of the Great Barrier Reef for that. :no:

I've used a few of the battery
powered ones, but not enough
to recommend one or another.
But you wouldn't recommend not using one? Are they typically 1-2 speeds, or variable? The latter would seem to be the only sensible thing.

I used to build conservatories and we used a pneumatic caulk gun, it was cool but allowed you to lay a bead 2 times too big twice as fast.
Uh... yeah. That's exactly what I was thinking. :laughing:

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
I have the ridgid 18v glue/caulk gun and it has a variable speed. Its also all about the cut, if you cut a gaping hole then your jacked no matter what you use. I bought the ridgid for glue mostly but I have used it to caulk and it worked just fine.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its also all about the cut, if you cut a gaping hole then your jacked no matter what you use.
Hallelujah on that! Drives me nuts when someone borrows my gun/caulk and returns it with a hole big enough to stick a finger in.

I would use a set of spoons and rags.
Novel thought, but I never learned to play spoons. :laughing:

Seriously, that does sound like it could work well under the right circumstances. But I don't trust myself to be able to handle the excess neatly on a brick/concrete surface.

Hire a caulking company- it'll save you the pain.
Under the right circumstances I'd be tempted. But (a) we're trying to maximize profit by keeping as much of the work in-house as possible, and (b) I actually do have a pretty good touch at it myself. Just haven't done it on this scale before. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Figured I would chime in since nobody brought up using spoons. If there is a section that is unnoticable I would atleast give this method a shot. You can get alot done quickly and neatly with a nice set of spoons. But you know what you are comfortable with. Good luck on the project.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
As far as the battery guns,
I tried a Ryobi, and a DeWalt
And another "yellow one" :laughing:
The Dewalt was variable speed, and
had a way to lock in the rate of flow
that you liked.
That's about all I remember.
Milwaukee makes one too, but
you might want to check these guys.
http://www.albioneng.com/

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
On commercial jobs like that I would expect to see bulk guns and NP2 in buckets, a soup can wired to your belt containing a little soapy water, and your spoon of choice. If you need gloves, rags, hand cleaner, and somewhere to put the "extra", you are doing it wrong. :thumbsup:

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess "spoons" are a slang term.
No doubt. You ljust showed me something I didn't even know existed. :thumbsup:

If you need gloves, rags, hand cleaner, and somewhere to put the "extra", you are doing it wrong. :thumbsup:
I freely admit that I've never done "commercial" caulking. As a general remodeler, most of the stuff I do is easily accomplished with a few rags/paper towels, a fingertip and spit. But if you never venture out of your comfort zone, you're stagnating.

Sounds like both of you guys have a clue as to how it's done on a bigger scale, and I do appreciate the education. Anything else you can point me at would be well paid with attaboys (can't fit much else through this keyboard). :notworthy

1 - 20 of 53 Posts