1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Structural Engineer
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trenton man is sentenced to 10 years in home-improvement scam
by The Star-Ledger Continuous News Desk
Monday September 14, 2009, 8:14 AM

TRENTON -- A city man has been sentenced to 10 years in prison for taking thousands of dollars from a couple that hired him for home-improvement projects he never completed, according to a report by the Trenton Times.

The long sentence, issued by Mercer County Superior Court Judge Pedro Jimenez, was merited by Tony "The Nose" Iannuzzio's long criminal record, said spokesman Angelo Onofri of the Mercer County Prosecutor's Office.

Iannuzzio, 68, was hired by the Maglione family to dig a swimming pool and a foundation for a home addition, according to the report. The couple gave Iannuzzio more than $8,000 for supplies, which he failed to return when he was fired for failing to make progress.

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
Iannuzzio, 68, ...

Was this a licensed contractor or the competition over at CL?
Search for Home Improvement Contractors

This data is current as of July 28, 2009.
If your search did not reveal the name you were looking for try again using just the town.

Please be aware that it will take 10 - 15 business days to receive your physical license.
If you need proof of licensure, please dial our License Verification Line at 973-273-8090
to receive a faxed verification of your license status.

If your search did not reveal the name you were looking for try again using just the town.

Your search for Home Improvement Contractors with the name Iannuzzio generated 0 matches
Survey says:
The CL competition :thumbsup:

The long sentence, issued by Mercer County Superior Court Judge Pedro Jimenez, was merited by Tony "The Nose" Iannuzzio's long criminal record, said spokesman Angelo Onofri of the Mercer County Prosecutor's Office.
...and he was just paroled in '05 :cry:
Seems he likes to bounce checks :whistling

https://www6.state.nj.us/DOC_Inmate/inmatefinder?i=I
[super secret website...shhhhhh]

But don't fret....he'll be out just in time for the next construction BOOM :furious:

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
I've looked up more than one former employee on that search engine, just to see where they landed. A couple local politicians, too.

I go there to see friends I haven't seen in 5 - 10 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
I'm somewhat familiar with this story, as it's real close to home.

He did (or should I say didn't??) do the job in a small town called Robbinsville, just a few miles north of me.

He was an unlicensed poser (no NJ-HIC License) and should do time, - - but what about the homeowner??

It always gets blamed on 'contractors', - - yet there was no contractor even involved, - - just a illegitimate poser and a homeowner looking for a cheap deal.

It takes two to conspire an illegal deal.

If they also gave the homeowner 30 days and a fine, and put that in the news, - - future problems would start solving themselves.

But apparently, that's not what they really want, - - is it now?? :rolleyes:

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
If they also gave the homeowner ..... a fine, and put that in the news, - - future problems would start solving themselves.
The homeowners did pay an $8k fine :laughing:

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
You know that's a damn good question. If I get caught soliciting a prostitute I'm sure I'd have a court date along with the Hmmmm, girl.

Not that I'd know about things like that.
Get your car out of the impound yet? :laughing:

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
the homeowner has paid the price of hiring an unlicenced person to do this work- they paid him, and they got stiffed. Hopefully the judge did not order a return of their money - a good lesson!

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
I'm somewhat familiar with this story, as it's real close to home.

He did (or should I say didn't??) do the job in a small town called Robbinsville, just a few miles north of me.

He was an unlicensed poser (no NJ-HIC License) and should do time, - - but what about the homeowner??

It always gets blamed on 'contractors', - - yet there was no contractor even involved, - - just a illegitimate poser and a homeowner looking for a cheap deal.

It takes two to conspire an illegal deal.

If they also gave the homeowner 30 days and a fine, and put that in the news, - - future problems would start solving themselves.

But apparently, that's not what they really want, - - is it now?? :rolleyes:
Tom, I remember reading this story a while ago too. I maybe wrong but wasn't work started quite a while ago... as in right before licensing took effect? It seems I remember that this has been dragging on with the HO for a really long time. Like I said I maybe wrong though.
On a different note, a friend of mine in Freehold told me about a sting the cops set up near the shore where they called "contractors" for pricing. When they got the quotes for the jobs from unlicensed guys they offered them the deal...$1500 fine or jail for being unlicensed.

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
“It Honestly Looked Like Beirut”

Eight months after hiring Tony “The Nose” Iannuzzio for a home construction project, a Robbinsville [New Jersey] man says he had nothing to show for it but a big, muddy hole in his yard that was threatening to undermine the foundation of his home.

“My property was a mess,” Maglione testified. “It honestly looked like Beirut. It looked like a bomb had exploded next to my house.”
I dunno?
From someone's obscure blog or something or another.

·
Banned
538 Posts
Wow 10 years :eek:. I think it's a good amount of time but I'm starting to see people get more time for an offense like this than people who rape and kill. Whats going on with the US justice system!
you arent kidding. i've seen some pretty messed up stuff, one of the worst was a guy got stabbed 7 times in the torso, smashed in the head with a hammer, had a hole in his chest from one of the knife woods. his head was caved in. i brought him to the ambulance. the guy was telling me he was straight as he was literally crapping his pants because he went into shock. the dude that did the stabbing got 1 1/2 years. thats right. one, and a half year. one more time, one year, and six months, for almost murdering a guy for talking to his girlfriend. this guy screwed someone for money and got 10 years? that not right. now not only do the HO of that pool get screwed, but now every tax payer is going to be screwed, because they have to pay for this shmuck to be locked up for 10 years.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts