Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

10" Sliding Miter Saw (not Kapex)

22K views 139 replies 42 participants last post by  Calidecks 
#1 ·
Been itching to get a new miter saw for a little while now. I was originally looking at the Dewalt (DW717); the LED attachment looks useful and it's one of the few 10" sliders I've been able to actually put my hands on in a store, feels well built. Now my problem with this is that I'm no longer seeing it on Dewalt's website, which worries me. Are they discontinuing it? Are they revamping it? Is it worth it to spend that much money on a saw they don't make anymore?

This leads me to the other saws in this price range; Bosch, Makita, and Ridgid is slowly becoming a consideration. The fence on the Ridgid looks chintzy, but that's just based on photos. The Bosch is heavy. The Makita looks cheap to me, but looks can be deceiving.

The saw will be used for trim work and trim work only, there won't be too many hands on it. With a lot of the remodels/additions we do we usually end up running some fairly tall baseboards, frequently around 7.5-9" and fairly often upwards of 11" to match what we're building off of. In the near future will be doing a 5 apartment build out with lots of wainscoting and some coffered ceilings. I don't need Kapex levels of dust collection, but some would be nice, and obviously the more the better.

What would you buy?

See less See more
#3 ·
I really like dewalts led light for cutting. I have the 12" slider. That was a great idea by them. But I also have a hitachi c10fsh that I use a lot. It's not like the new hitachi you buy at menards. It reminds me of the old style quality miter saws. Not a lot of moving parts and simple. Sometimes less is more but it's always been real acurite on the cuts. I've been looking at the new makita but that double sliding mechanism deters me some with all those moving parts. Not sure how it'll last few years down the road.

#6 ·
The Dewalt looks like a good saw. I have never used it though.

I had a Bosch (slider not glider), I really liked it. It was attached to the Ridgid saw stand so I never really felt the weight unless I had to pick it up. Loved the upfront controls.

I know you don't wanna hear it but......I have a Kapex now.................

#7 ·
I have both the dewalt, and kapex. I ran the dewalt for years it was a solid saw and I produced some great work with that saw, I'd buy another in a heartbeat. As for the kapex, it's a great saw with a lot of sweet features but not everyone can afford it. I'd say the dewalt is a solid option. And if you can find one the old 10" hitachi slider is the best 10" I've used.

#9 ·
Bosch makes their glider in a 10" model. Seems like a solid saw...but it's heavy and no laser/light. I wouldn't hesitate at all to buy that Dewalt. Ran Dewalt miter saws for years. They make nice miter saws. The shadow light cutting guide is decent.

#10 ·
I've had the DW717 for almost 2 years. It's a good saw, but dust collection is awful. Hooked to a vac there is still a lot of air born dust. I also don't like the bevel lock, just doesn't hold as well as I'd like.

We have the 12" Bosch glide and much better with dust, but is stupidly heavy. It sits in the trailer about 360 days a year.

I've been looking into all brands for my next saw. The only one that is light weight, good dust collection and accurate seems to be..... you guessed it kapex.

I have never used a makita scms, but have used pretty much all the others. The kapex guys sure are reluctant to let you use their saw.:laughing:

Edit: We do everything from framing to custom built ins.

#13 ·
There's a fix for the looseness of the bevel. Pull the black plastic lever off and play with the tension on the nut below a little bit. Tighten it up and the slip goes away with the added benefit that the saw holds itself in position as you set the bevel.

The 717 is a good saw. The bearings in the slide are tight and there is almost no slop in the head. The sliding action is smooth. It requires adjustment out of the box but it is easy to do and it holds the setup well. Once adjusted it's a very accurate and user friendly saw.

Attachments

#12 ·
XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTB0NjZjZzZhBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNwaXZz?p=dust+collector+for+miter+saws&fr=yfp-t-901-s&fr2=piv-web#id=51&vid=52211090cb77c97b8fe1d8538279195b&action=view
just read this review , the dewalt did well relative to others . i find dust collection to be really important .just looks good with clients and saves time at the end of the day when all i want to do is go home .come to think of it when i am not collecting dust off my saws the mess that builds up around the saw is not helpful .i have a nonsliding dewalt and a kapex .both do fine with picking up dust when hooked to a vac .kapex is a little better .

#14 ·
I'm partial to the hitachi, but that's probably because I haven't used a kapek yet.
Current C10 has been with me for going on 12 years and I haven't really wanted for more. Before that was the 8" hitachi slider. It doesn't have any lights (which would be nice) or lasers, but it gets the job done.

I've heard the newer hitiachi's aren't as good quality, I'd look for one made in Japan if I was buying another.

#15 ·
I love my 12" dewalt slider. I am looking at picking up a 10". It will either be Dewalt or kapex. I wouldn't even consider the bosch axial glide because of the limited cutting height. I like cutting base upright. Miter saws is one area I think dewalt actually shines. The lighted blade feature is awesome, better than I expected. All around well built saw

#16 ·
717 is a great saw, I ran the armature out of mine (took 5 years), it does pretty good on dust collection when the material is standing up, skirtboards forget about it. Was the most accurate saw I had from Dewalt.

I did like with that saw the bevel had positive detents. Also was nice not reaching around the back for bevel adjust.

The light is hands down the best option on any saw you can get.

I just wish my Kapex had one.

#17 ·
I was on the fence between the 10" Dewalt and the Kapex a few years ago. Ultimately went Kapex and have been very happy but still look at the Dewalt every once in a while. Actually I think the cordless one they have now would be a great tool for smaller trim jobs or window and door replacements.

The two items I would hate to give up now that I am used to them is the super acurate lasers on the Kapex and the obvious dust collection.

#20 ·
May I ask why? First person to vouch for the Makita, so I'm curious what your reasoning is. It's cheaper than the Bosch and the Dewalt currently, so I wouldn't mind being sold on it.

There is an older Japanese made Hitachi 10" slider being sold locally. I have been told they don't make any replacement parts for those saws anymore (and they want around $625). I understand it's a very solid saw (I've used a 12" from the same period and wasn't bummed), but it will be on the job and things happen. I wouldn't be happy if I spent that much on a saw and was left up the creek when the unforeseen happens.

Kapex is out of my price range right now, if it weren't then I wouldn't have made this thread. I haven't used one, but I have handled and looked over a lot of Festool tools at a local Woodcraft. One day, not today, but hopefully not that far away.

As of now I'm leaning towards the Dewalt, as I was originally, but am still wondering why it isn't on their website any longer. Has anyone heard anything about it being discontinued, or something of that nature? As of a month ago, when I last looked into them, it was on their site. I don't like the idea of buying into something that's discontinued, unless I can get a hell of a deal on it.

#26 ·
I've had a couple of LS1013s, and I've been happy with them. (First one bought new, then sold when I moved overseas; replacement bought used when I ended up in California.)

Adjusting the fence to square is a pain. I had the high part of the fence broken off by some dummy once, so they aren't indestructible. On my current one, the miter detent is sloppy, so you have to know which side to push it to. (And I've been too lazy to figure out how to fix it.) It's a bit heavy, but not terrible.

All that said, my rails were perfect on both, and my cuts are good.

Last time I was looking, there seemed to be some problems with the 1016 (could have been quality control; could have been caused by poor shipping), but I'd seriously consider another makita. (I'd also see what dewalt and the Bosch glide were offering.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#27 ·
Over the years I've owned, Craftsman (early 90's). Makita, Dewalt, Bosch and the kapex. My favorite was the Bosch I really liked the upfront controls. But to be honest they all were good saws, and you can find something on every saw you like better then another.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.