Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

61 - 80 of 140 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
40,546 Posts
You're correct, for some reason I thought the Kapex was $1750. Still... That's $700 more than most of the really good miter saws. And I heard the dust collection isn't quite what Festool is generally known for on the Kapex. And the blades... unless this is someone's first miter saw that's a non-issue.

As far as the other issues... the laser on my 1013 is amazingly accurate, and the saw really isn't that heavy. Granted, I'm sure it's not as light as the Kapex. Not sure what the wheel adjust is.

But now that you brought the blades up, do you have to use a 30mm blade with the Kapex? Will a standard 5/8" arbor blade work on the saw? If not, that also means all my old blades are now worthless for anything but the table saw.
It's about 1600 with tax. You weren't far off.

·
Registered
606 Posts
It's nice to see the hitachi c10fsh get some recognition.

It has short coming's like every other tool. But it's an incredibly smooth/fine saw. There's no start up kick, or blade drop when the brake kicks in, the blade guard retracts effortlessly.

The bevel lacks detents, and the scale's a little small. But it has very firm positive stops.

IMO the only saw that would be better for me would perhaps be a kapex. But it certainly wouldn't be as cost effective.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Comparing the Japanese built C10FSH to the Chinese C10FSHPS shows what is happening with most of our tools. I think the Chinese "replacement" should be called the FS-POS.
We had one of the Italian made Dewalt 8.5" Sliders and it was almost as good as the C10FSH. Dewalt killed it, of course.

I had a Japanese built Makita LS1214 and it was excellent in many ways. The slider being attached to a large turntable made it consistent once it was adjusted. With a Tenryu Miter Pro Plus, it cut as well as the Kapex. It was not quick/easy to adjust and threw dust everywhere. I had a friend that "upgraded" to the LS1216 and after returning 3, talked me into selling him mine. $475 more upgraded me to the Kapex during their last sale.

I have other saws for rough work.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I use the dewalt 20v for all trim. By the time it's trim time I am not lugging the 12" around. The 20v is super light and easy to carry. I have extra feet on it to snap into my saw stand. I cut almost all day with one battery. Cuts every few minutes not ripping studs and cripples for a 4000' new home.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I use the dewalt 20v for all trim. By the time it's trim time I am not lugging the 12" around. The 20v is super light and easy to carry. I have extra feet on it to snap into my saw stand. I cut almost all day with one battery. Cuts every few minutes not ripping studs and cripples for a 4000' new home.
Do you have a specific blade you use? I would think you'd want to find a full kerf, I know those 7 1/4"s can deflect quite a bit.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Well count me as one of the few that is not happy with their Kapex. I was happy when it worked, but it has slowed to a crawl. Out of warranty and no technical help from Festool. You have to send it back to them.

I replaced it with the Bosch 10" Glide saw. So far I like it.

·
GC/carpenter
40,546 Posts
Well count me as one of the few that is not happy with their Kapex. I was happy when it worked, but it has slowed to a crawl. Out of warranty and no technical help from Festool. You have to send it back to them.

I replaced it with the Bosch 10" Glide saw. So far I like it.
Hey Mark, good hearing from you. Would you say that 10" glide is comparable in wieght to a 12" dewalt. And will it cut through a 4x. Thx

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Hey Mark, good hearing from you. Would you say that 10" glide is comparable in wieght to a 12" dewalt. And will it cut through a 4x. Thx

Hey Mike, I don't feel I fit in here any longer, since I've retired. I'm now a DIY.

It's been a while since I had a DeWalt 12", so I can't say for sure, but I imagine they are close. My saws have always been on mobile stands, so I'm not really picking up all the weight of just the saw.

The Kapex is obviously much lighter and notably too.

The 10" Glide will cut a 4x4.

·
GC/carpenter
40,546 Posts
Hey Mike, I don't feel I fit in here any longer, since I've retired. I'm now a DIY.

It's been a while since I had a DeWalt 12", so I can't say for sure, but I imagine they are close. My saws have always been on mobile stands, so I'm not really picking up all the weight of just the saw.

The Kapex is obviously much lighter and notably too.

The 10" Glide will cut a 4x4.
As one of the premier deck builders in the country your input is always going to be valued. I enjoy your articles in Professional Deck Builder magazine as well. I find myself using them as references for best practices. Thanks again Mark.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Ive got a japanese Hitachi 10 FSH and it is a great saw. It is pretty basic but it was a very well built machine.

I also now own a kapex and it was only a slight upgrade from the hitachi. But lets be honest. If Hitachi built a 10" slider on par with what the old Fsh was it would have to retail for $1000.00 now

I think the newer dewalts feel like the best built of the new chinese made saws out there. My test is always to pull the head out all the way and push side to side. The dewalts seem to have the least head movement of the non kapex crowd. That said i cant stand trying to use a slider that has head movement. Nothing lines up right when you bevel cut with those things.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
That's a great saw.

That does seem a little sketchy, though. At least they aren't asking you to leave cash in a brown paper bag next to a dumpster.

No, but I'm still not pulling the trigger. If I could pay with credit card, yes. Then I'd have some comfort in knowing I have protection from American Express if I get ripped off. Not sure western union can offer me any recourse. Also, this company is in Indonesia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
No, but I'm still not pulling the trigger. If I could pay with credit card, yes. Then I'd have some comfort in knowing I have protection from American Express if I get ripped off. Not sure western union can offer me any recourse. Also, this company is in Indonesia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, in all seriousness, I wouldn't order from them.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
That's a great saw.

That does seem a little sketchy, though. At least they aren't asking you to leave cash in a brown paper bag next to a dumpster.
More than a little sketchy.

Those saws fetch a pretty penny used, if in mint condition...

61 - 80 of 140 Posts