Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
One man show.
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sac. CA,
we have a corner lot and back yard is shallow. House is on raised foundation, so we are totally exposed to neighbors. There are reminents of hedges but they are dying and thinning badly. We put a small pool in 2 years ago. The neighbor on right of house is 4' higher than our lot and only had a 4'high fence, I put up lattice on posts a long time ago. During first inspection on pool inspector said I needed to construct a higher fence on right side of house. I did, and I kept going down the back of house. But I didn't attach it to the fence. I set new 4x8s in front of fence and ran 16' 1x4s horz. Inspector questioned it at gunite inspection, but I said 'its a privacy screen, it's not connected to fence'. He said have it done by final, I did. He signed off encloser.
2 years later we get a notice from county saying someone complained, regarding set back of a temporary structure!!!
We are assuming the neighbor(that we don't talk to cause of reasons I don't need to get into)...filed the complaint.
I will call tomorrow. But the inspector saw it at pool final. It's not connected to fence. He signed it all off. If I have to take it down we will have absolutely no privacy from every window in back yard. I'm guessing some one is going to come out to look.
Will they dismiss this because of pool inspection sign off or what?
Once again, it's not connected to fence, I built new fence only 4' above exsisting fence, not from ground up.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Whether it was inspected or not won't really matter; no one ever knows what's happened since that signature, and inspectors don't really like having someone say, "Well you signed off on it so it must be OK." It just doesn't work like that.

If you think an inspector's coming out, make sure you're there to talk with him. Friendly, courteous talk. Point out the privacy situation; describe what's up with the neighbors. Ask who filed the complaint. Ask about what the local fence rules are (likely 6 ft. without a permit and without neighbor permission, and higher with a permit and either neighbor permission or a variance or other deal).

Start watering the hedge.

·
One man show.
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
.....but it's not connected to fence. The inspector saw it at pool final 2 years ago. What are they going to say to that?? At what point are you allowed to irrect a privacy screen in your yard. If its not connected to fence it shouldn't be an issue.
I wouldn't have built it if I knew this could happen. If the inspector said I can't, I wouldn't have.....but he didn't! Now they're going to tell me it's not in compliance!
Why didn't he tell me that when inspector saw it! How are they going to explain that 2 years ago it was signed off at a pool final but now it's not compliant??

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Just what is the difference between a privacy screen & a fence?

Read Bob's post about the inspector.

·
One man show.
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fence is owned by both home owners and is on property line.
Privacy screen is what it is.....can be any thing, lattice, foliage etc.....but a property fence can't be either of those.
We'll see, I'll see what they say on phone and when they come out. Ill plead my case and beg for acceptance. If I have to take it down.....we'll prob move.

·
One man show.
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate your frustration, but a privacy screen is a fence. It might not be "the" fence, but it's a fence.

Here is the Sacramento County page on the subject: http://www.code-enforcement.saccounty.net/Programs/Pages/Fences.aspx

As for the "how will they explain it?", most inspectors would just say, "I don't need to explain it," or "I wasn't there."
Actually I'm in Placer county......
But thanks for the link, learned a little something I would have never thought was the case, as far as property lines.
I'm sure Placer county isn't much different..... Sounds like I'm screwed.
But why didn't he tell me not to build it when he saw me building it?
Think there's any chance they'll dismiss it??

·
Designer/Contractor
5,441 Posts
Plant clumping bamboo? Might be messy with the pool but some of it grows fast and the clumping type doesn't have the runner issue.

·
One man show.
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Plant clumping bamboo? Might be messy with the pool but some of it grows fast and the clumping type doesn't have the runner issue.
Thought about what I could plant.... But it's gonna take to long any way.

·
One man show.
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He might have been sympathetic to your situation, and figured that if your neighbors didn't cry foul, why should he stop you. But now they've cried foul.
Where did you find that Sac county link on fences?
I couldn't find any thing like that for Placer County....

·
One man show.
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ha, that's funny! That's exactly what I downloaded before I built the.....fence. I didn't see any thing that pertained to a 'privacy screen'

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Ha, that's funny! That's exactly what I downloaded before I built the.....fence. I didn't see any thing that pertained to a 'privacy screen'
What do you perceive as the difference?

As far as your situation they are probably the same thing.

Any CC&R's to deal with?

·
GC/carpenter
44,254 Posts
Man our inspectors here are very adamant about not letting us inside the set backs, for this very reason. I had one inspector tell me we do this stuff for your protection. He did you a disservice allowing that fence/screen to go up in the first place.

One time we got a a permit to build a carport and the lady next door was pissed because it was next to her home. She liked the open field better. She called the city and said we were inside the set backs. The city came out and red tagged us until we got a survey. Well as it turned out her fence was on our property by 1-1/2 feet. It was awesome to see the look on her face when the HO had someone out there the next day tearing down the fence and moving it to reclaim his property. And we finished our carport.

It might be worthwhile to get a survey.

·
One man show.
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm in Granite Bay.
They may be strict now but I built it 2 years ago and was acknowledge during pool construction......?
I just don't see how they can come back and tell me to take it down.

·
One man show.
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dam neighbors! Now I have to live next to these people and look at them looking at me knowing they complained. Very awkward and uncomfortable. Gonna try shade sails post to post if I can. That's not the same as fence right....?

·
One man show.
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What do you perceive as the difference?

As far as your situation they are probably the same thing.

Any CC&R's to deal with?
No CCRs.
Well when you Google privacy screens you get privacy screens when you search fences you get fences.......so....

1 - 20 of 55 Posts