Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Just Jennifer - The Paint
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice primer for us paint un-aficianado members.
Thanks!
I posted that because even on the Pro Painter sites, there are questions that keep coming up! That is both on the diychatroom.com, painttalk.com and even the painters boards here. I also posted another problem solver and one on fish eyes, another regular "What happened here?" I see often on the boards of all sites mentioned. Not all pros have seen all issues!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
The difference between a pro and and the DIY‘er is that the pro has solved the problem before he / she has encountered it.
Prep and primer prevent 99% of the issues.

A common cause of most issues faced by the DIY’er is due to budget and time.

·
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The difference between a pro and and the DIY‘er is that the pro has solved the problem before he / she has encountered it.
Prep and primer prevent 99% of the issues.

A common cause of most issues faced by the DIY’er is due to budget and time.
Given, the questions I often see posted by "Pros", not all have seen and solved all problems AND every day, there are young, new comers to the trade. After 46 years, there is not much I have not seen but I do not expect the same level of knoweledge from a younger during the first year of going into business. Those in the know can certainly skip the thread!

·
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was only out on my own for about 3 months when I came across my first experience with "too much lime in the plaster". I was dumbfounded! The HO phoned me 3 months after I'd finished to say "You didn't paint one wall." Now, she was old but I knew she had all her marbles! I said, now, you and I both know all walls were painted when you paid me. and she said, yes but one wall is completely white, now. I said, I'll be there tomorrow morning to see if I can tell what happened. Sure enough, it was as though someone had dropped a plumb line down the center of the feature wall and from center wall to the window was bleached white. I confessed my confusion but promised it would be rectified, promptly. The next morninfg at the paint store, I aked a bunch of painters if they knew what was going on. An old timer drawled "Old building, ah?" I said "Yes but it's one of the nicest in the city!, Very well cared for.." He reply "Don't matter, somebody repairded a wall and there is too much lime in the plaster." I asked, "And do you have any idea what I do about that?" His answer "shellac." So I went back and painted the wall with pure shellac, repainted the wall and never heard from her again. HOWEVER, I got calls from every friend and relative she had! That was when I stopped running ads. I had postponed another client to attend that old lady. I said "She is all paid up, she must be the priority!" Those clients were happy to wait a bit. I know they must have realized that paid is not forgotten. Paid make us a priority. So, no matter what you know about painting when you start out, I promise, there will be things that flummox you and older, more experience guys can save you! It takes time to become a true pro! As it happens, 46 years later, there are still things I learn!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Jennifer, no doubt that we always continue to learn. The point to my comment is that most problems are caused by short cuts due to trying to save time and money. Many have learnt that doing the right prep and using the right products prevents most problems from occurring.
There is no problem or issue with the new guy starting out asking and learning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts