Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
43,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had a regular 10" blade bored for your Kapex? I have a lot of unused 10" blades I was think of getting them bored. I know the Kapex blades are slightly bigger, but the saw has a depth adjustment screw to accommodate this. So before I spend the money to get them bored, and not to mention if it doesn't work I've wasted 100's of dollars in blades. Opinions?

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Californiadecks said:
As anyone ever had a regular 10" blade bored for your Kapex, I have a lot of unused 10" blades I was think of getting them bored. I know the Kapex blades are slightly bigger, but the saw has a depth adjustment screw to accommodate this.

My question is before I spend the money the to get them bored, and not to mention if it doesn't work I've wasted 100's of dollars in blades. Opinions?
Our shop charges $10 per hole. I haven't done it yet since its been 6 monthes since I used my Kapex. And with no trim jobs in the near future I thought of selling it since I already have 7 mirter saws.

City decks I believe had his blades drilled with no problem

·
GC/carpenter
43,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great, I have the Lietz blade sharpening guy coming by for the first time today, so I will send him one to bore and check it out. Lietz was a good find, they will pick the blades up and drop them off sharpened for 18 bucks a blade flat fee regardless of size or number of teeth. They also have in house blades to that I will have a look at.

·
GC/carpenter
43,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WarnerConstInc. said:
I have had three 10" blades bored for my kapex. You loose a tiny bit of cutting depth. I have had numerous big blades 18 an 20" bored to an 1 1/2"
Thanks

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Californiadecks said:
Great, I have the Lietz blade sharpening guy coming by for the first time today, so I will send him one to bore and check it out. Lietz was a good find, they will pick the blades up and drop them off sharpened for 18 bucks a blade flat fee regardless of size or number of teeth. They also have in house blades to that I will have a look at.
Sheesh I wish we had a leitz guy here

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Has anyone ever had a regular 10" blade bored for your Kapex? I have a lot of unused 10" blades I was think of getting them bored. I know the Kapex blades are slightly bigger, but the saw has a depth adjustment screw to accommodate this. So before I spend the money to get them bored, and not to mention if it doesn't work I've wasted 100's of dollars in blades. Opinions?
I'll be dammed if I drop 120 per blade from Festie.
Sure do. I have about 6 or 7.
ranging from 24t, 36, 42, 60t also aluminum blade and fiber cement. Including festies I think 100 and 120t
Aluminum blade works really well on Aluminum tubes etc of course and ipe set speed at 2-3speed
I think I paid about $9 bucks for the hole.
You loose about an 1/8 in depth and find it works smoother by adding 3/4 ply to fence as backing.
Pick your best blades the ones that are worth re-sharpening. ;)

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Our shop charges $10 per hole. I haven't done it yet since its been 6 monthes since I used my Kapex. And with no trim jobs in the near future I thought of selling it since I already have 7 mirter saws.

City decks I believe had his blades drilled with no problem
Hey Gary nice to be remembered;). 6 miters... is that for when production get rolling or just hoarding...lol

·
GC/carpenter
43,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CITY DECKS INC said:
I'll be dammed if drop 120 per blade from Festie. Sure do. I have about 6 or 7. ranging from 24t, 36, 42, 60t also aluminum blade and fiber cement. Including festies I think 100 and 120t Aluminum blade works really well on Aluminum tubes etc of course and ipe set speed at 2-3speed I think I paid about $9 bucks for the hole. You loose about an 1/8 in depth and I find it it works smoother by adding 3/4 ply to fence as backing. Pick your best blades the ones that are worth re-sharpening. ;)
Thanks

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
CITY DECKS INC said:
Hey Gary nice to be remembered;). 6 miters... is that for when production get rolling or just hoarding...lol
Hoarding. All 8 1/2" and 10" hitachi saws I been finding on cl. The good ones made in Japan. I figure at the prices i am getting them for , they can't be passed by.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I think about how I would deal with the dust and hassles of a bigger heavier saw if got rid of mine. Because I go through spurts were It's pounded on for 2weeks and sits in truck for a month. I did get a box from festie to send back for a on over hall. It's a hair out of square but only notice when your making a 4corner picture frame also cut so much IPE and Mahogany I can't find my laser anymore. It's completely filthy and stained from the miles and miles of IPE dust baking in there from the sun. Last week I banged the hell out of it with a 100 year old 3x12x14ft red pine joist the handle has crack and scuff on it. If the guys on the fog blog saw it they would call the way I use my saw sac religious and ban me.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
CITY DECKS INC said:
I think about how I would deal with the dust and hassles of bigger heavier saw if got rid of mine. Because I go through spurts were It's pounded on for 2weeks and sits in truck for a month. I did get a box from festie to send back for a on over hall. It's a hair out of square but only notice when your making a 4corner picture frame also cut so much IPE and Mahogany I can't find my laser anymore. It's completely filthy and stained from the miles and mile of IPE dust baking in there form the hot sun. Last week banged with a the hell out of it with a 100 year old 3x12x14ft red pine joist the handle has crack and scuff on it. If the guys on the fog blog saw it they would call the way I use my saw sac religious and ban me.
We need pics before you cleaned it. Ha ha. Your right about the fog group. If I told anyone what I paid for the Kapex around my Area they would say I had rocks in my head.

I love how light the saw is. Still not used to how slow it spins compared to the hitachi.

·
Always Learning
8,713 Posts
Gary H said:
We need pics before you cleaned it. Ha ha. Your right about the fog group. If I told anyone what I paid for the Kapex around my Area they would say I had rocks in my head.

I love how light the saw is. Still not used to how slow it spins compared to the hitachi.
My partner thinks I have rocks in my head for getting one...but we did! Going to check with my sharpener to see if they can bore out blades. We do have a couple decent 10" Blades laying around.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
My partner thinks I have rocks in my head for getting one...but we did! Going to check with my sharpener to see if they can bore out blades. We do have a couple decent 10" Blades laying around.
i cleared with my blade guy before i even bought the dam thing. i wanted to know what i was i getting into before i pulled the trigger. you operating cost and chit like that.. the last i wanted to do was drop 1300 on the saw then another 500-600 on blades.

·
GC/carpenter
43,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Could a person bore his own? The hole is already there. Your just enlarging it.
I would think that if it was out of true the slightest bit it would be a problem. You could always try it on a cheap blade

1 - 20 of 37 Posts