Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read this article in JLC that the Supreme Court in Rhode Island found that a house which is valued at $1.8 million was built on park land owned by the Park Foundation. Judge Brian Stern has ordered the house be demolished or removed.
The builder tried to make a deal with park owners but they said land is not for sale.

What gets to me is HTF he build that house without a survey to begin with. Who staked out the house location prior to be built. The construction started in 2009 and when the house had prospective buyers in 2011, they went to do a survey and the house was built on Parks Land.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
If I was the Park Foundation I would want it down too.

I have a rental property and the neighbor framed his addition on my property.
I went down to the inspectors office and asked to see the plans. When he got them I showed him the addition was drawn over my lot line.

Long story short we spent over $20,000 suing the neighbor to get him to tear it down and move it back.

Inspector...walked free. Can't sue inspectors in NJ unless someone is basically dead from the decision they made.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Maybe the park board could of just said thanks for the house, we're the owners and thanks for building it for us. We're going to use it as a guest house and feel free to build as many as you like around the edge of the park.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Maybe the park board could of just said thanks for the house, we're the owners and thanks for building it for us. We're going to use it as a guest house and feel free to build as many as you like around the edge of the park.
Now that is a good idea:thumbsup:

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hope surveyors insurance will cover that, if not someone has a huge headache.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
I worked on a house once that was knowingly built too close to NCC (national capital commission) land. Not 1.8 mil but 1 mil or so. The HO figured that once the house was built that he would pay a huge fine and get his way, but the NCC figured that it would set precedent and it would happen again and again. the HO fought it for quite a while but in the end gae up and sold the house to the guy we worked for. He cut part of the house off and rebuilt it in a legal way.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Like the state that approved the structure......nothing happens without a stamp......:rolleyes:
In NJ that does not matter, I know of a house that was 5' too tall.
They realized in on the final inspections, had to remove 5' of chimney.
Town said yes we approved plans, but you have to remove chimney.

·
Super Moderator
27,725 Posts
In NJ that does not matter, I know of a house that was 5' too tall.
They realized in on the final inspections, had to remove 5' of chimney.
Town said yes we approved plans, buy you have to remove chimney.
There is always a rat in Bureaucrat:rolleyes:

·
Registered
866 Posts
I got a call a few years ago about going and measuring a house to be moved for a foundation. What the deal was, the owners built a house for one of their kids in a sub-division of roughly 2 acre lots. Sub-division had by-laws that only one house per 2 acre lot. So the owners decided, one their own, to not ascertain a building permit. Built the house anyways. Then the City AHJ got involved. Sued the owners. Told the owners either they move the house, or they (City) would send a contractor in to tear it down at the owner's expense. They decided to sell the house. We ended up doing the foundation. House was hauled roughly 60 miles and set in new location. Tough lesson for the owner's. One must dot their i's and cross them t's.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts