Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only used 1/4" tilebacker once before,when I had to in order to avoid troubles with the door height in a foyer.

I always wanted to avoid it because I figured the 1/2" was better and I think also easier to transport/handle without breaking.

But today I installed about 185 square feet of it in a kitchen/dining area because I'm coming up from the same level as a wood floor and wanted to keep the transition to a minimum.

Have any of you read the fastener schedule on this stuff?

I used 1/4" denshield and they called for fasteners every 2" on the edges and 4" in the field.

Holy constantly running air compressor!

The fastener schedule for the 1/2" is every 8" everywhere.

I think I'll stick with the 1/2" in the future whenever possible.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I started out using Durock on floors, then I switched to denshield and have been using it for everything since 2000. I like the way it cuts and the waterproof part is ok. I just hydroban the joints and fastener spots on shower walls. As far as hydroban goes, has anyone tried the laticrete backerboard?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
1/4 Durock for floors here. wet mud with 1/4 x3/8 under it. Nailing schedule is approx one coil per sheet.
I find Nailing preferable for the following reasons.

1 It is approved instal method (both are but it is important to some and it takes down the screws are superior argument)
2 It is much more cost effective $27 per 7200 vs per 1000
3 they have better holding power Most screws pull through the backer before the nail pulls out of the wood at least in my experience.
4 they are so much faster to install. The bottle neck with installing CBU was screwing down you can do 3+ nails per screw.

·
Registered
21 Posts
In Ontario, Canada the fasteners have to be coated. And 1/2 " is min. On floors. Thinset is used for all floor application. The screws are called rock. Special fibermesh to is suppost to be used for joints because they are finding now that the regular mesh tape is desigrating

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the standards are probably the same irregardless of your location. It is recommended to have coated fasteners here as well as the special tape. I'm using 1 1/4" nails. I think the minimum was 7/8". Funny, you are required to bed in thinset here as well.

It is almost like the manufacturer is looking for standardization across the market.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
In Ontario, Canada the fasteners have to be coated. And 1/2 " is min. On floors. Thinset is used for all floor application. The screws are called rock. Special fibermesh to is suppost to be used for joints because they are finding now that the regular mesh tape is desigrating
That's why in ON we just slap the tiles onto the plywood and say the heck with concrete board.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts