Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

In a pinch, I tried 1/4" Hardiboard on the walls of a bath stall. Worried about the flex, I added studs so they're on 8" centers. You know what? I didn't take out a micrometer or anything, but to the touch I'd say that it's every bit as rigid as 1/2" on 16" centers. You might not want to do this on outside walls, for thermal bridging, but on interior walls, I don't see a problem. Especially with 12" tiles that will span the framing anyway.

Anyone else tried this, or seen the results of it being done?

Thanks.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Gentlemen,

In a pinch, I tried 1/4" Hardiboard on the walls of a bath stall. Worried about the flex, I added studs so they're on 8" centers. You know what? I didn't take out a micrometer or anything, but to the touch I'd say that it's every bit as rigid as 1/2" on 16" centers. You might not want to do this on outside walls, for thermal bridging, but on interior walls, I don't see a problem. Especially with 12" tiles that will span the framing anyway.

Anyone else tried this, or seen the results of it being done?

Thanks.
Why not just use 1/2" or 7/16" Durock?

·
Registered
318 Posts
The manufacturer recommends 1/2" for walls. 1/4" is for floors and counter tops. What are you going to do about the 1/4" difference between the drywall and backer board? Why did you install 1/4" to begin with? Seems like bad building practices to me. I'm sure your customer will appreciate your experimenting on their project.

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
Dis maka da no sense :no:

With the added cost of studs and labor to install them, why not just use 1/2" in the first place? Now you have a shower built correctly to the standard put forth by the group(s) that do the real testing.

I suppose A for effort and maybe a C for "testing". But I cannot imagine myself building a shower, finding out I only have 1/4" CBU lying around but a whole bunch of extra studs.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree with Angus, why? that is just crazy. While your at it next time try Luan and then 1/4........that to will cost more and create more labor for you.........errrr

1 - 7 of 7 Posts