Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hovering around here for awhile. A lot of good information! I'm a Superintendent of an apartment complex. It's closing out and the amount of overage is ridiculous! Ill be building a house for myself in the next year or so. My question is, I have many 18" tall 1 3/4" LVLs, can I rip them down to use with a TJI floor system on a 1 story ranch? Also my TJIs will be 11 7/8". Should I rip them to that length or to 12" to make sure it catches all the load? TJI brand LVLs show a special grain pattern... Thanks!

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Why not sell the lvl and buy rim board, and pocket some cash. what do you mean by catch the load? The tji should sit on the sill plate and the rim board ties the joists together

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Why not sell the lvl and buy rim board, and pocket some cash. what do you mean by catch the load? The tji should sit on the sill plate and the rim board ties the joists together
hes a superintendent so prob ain't got the first clue how a house or building is constructed. but i would do same as you. sell the other material and buy the correct material.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Or since they belong to the GC, maybe he should return them to the lumber yard for credit for his employer.:whistling

Just sayin'...........

Reactions: donerightwyo

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No credits. It's paid for and part of the building package. They'll take it back...but no credit. Sounds like you guys have ran into supers like me who make you do the job you're contracted to do, never understand why it makes you so mad. So you guys are saying the free material won't work so go buy new?? I believe the rim board comes a 1/16 to an 1/8 taller than the TJIs in case of shrinkage and eliminate any chance of crushing them. Not totally sure, we only use floor truss systems or steel.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Yes you could rip them and use them for rim joist...I'd make them 11 7/8".
That's ALOT of waste and ALOT of work.
I'd try to sell them first and get the proper material to use. Heck, you can try to sell them here on the contractor swap forum.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Sounds like you guys have ran into supers like me who make you do the job you're contracted to do, never understand why it makes you so mad.
????

Way to get off on the right foot, this being your first post and all.

I might have offered a little advice, but not now.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
x2. Use the LVLs as headers. Using it as rim is a huge waste. Sell it on CL, it's worth 3x what the TJI's are worth (or something I buy brick and stone but I know it's A LOT more)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got unit of Doug fir 2x10's for headers. Stair stringers are a good idea. My first and maybe last post on this site. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
????

Way to get off on the right foot, this being your first post and all.

I might have offered a little advice, but not now.
Why do you have a problem with his comment? He's saying that his job is to do as he's told and get built what's designed whether he thinks it makes sense or not, just as our job is to build what's designed whether we think it makes sense or not. He's also being self deprecating by saying he doesn't really know what to do, just how to tell people to do it

·
Framing Contractor
427 Posts
You can use them for your rim board however in my opinion the time spent ripping down LVL is not worth it (rim board is relatively cheap). We rip a lot of LVL down for odd size headers, and you really can't push the saw to hard through the material without it bogging down and overheating. If you do decide to use them, rip them to 11 7/8, and use a 11 15/16" squash block nailed vertically to the joist to transfer the wall load as you mentioned.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I've been hovering around here for awhile. A lot of good information! I'm a Superintendent of an apartment complex. It's closing out and the amount of overage is ridiculous! Ill be building a house for myself in the next year or so. My question is, I have many 18" tall 1 3/4" LVLs
I got unit of Doug fir 2x10's for headers. Stair stringers are a good idea. My first and maybe last post on this site. Thanks.
Wow... What else did you 'get'?:rolleyes:

Just a question from a contractor that doesn't need 'a super like you' to do what I'm contracted to do...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"Stupid" was never used. It's always ends up "what is the least I can do for the most amount of money". That's why I'll always have a job. It's a constant game.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts