Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking for a new set of wheels. found a 06 canyon with only 34555 kms on it. looks to be in mint condition, does anyone know if this is a decent truck compared to a ranger. ive heard mixed reviews of it from underpowered to a very smooth ride compared to most mid size. not looking to do much hauling just tools and the odd small material pickup

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
interesting, might have to avoid this thing then

·
Registered
838 Posts
It's pretty much an Isuzu, I think. The Ranger is mostly Mazda. Go with a Mazda or a Dodge IMO.
Steve
It is the other way around- The Mazda is a Ford Ranger-they have been for years-Also a Mazda Tribute is a Ford Escape- All good Vehicles !

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
anyone else know about the canyon or colorado, our flooring guy has an 07 and loves it, mind you he has the 4x4 and im looking at an 06 4x2

·
Registered
408 Posts
I always thought the 5 cylinder engine would be a good mix of power and efficiency.
Wife has an 05 colorado that is her daily driver. It has the 5 cylinder. I absolutely hate that engine. I feel that it is underpowered, and could get better mpg. In fact, the new half tons get about the same mpg. Now Other than that, I like the truck. It rides nicely, hauls a decent load, and is small enough to get in those tight areas. Now I have been investigating the idea of having a little bit of a tune done, that will improve mpg, and power.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Your joking right? the chevy colorado is just a refreshed version of the piece of crap chevy s-10... you'll fold like a accordian in an accident. Try a fullsize F150:) much better..

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
so i switched modes to a colorado, took one out the other night made the offer. they countered, i was very aggressive with the offer but they wouldnt meet my price came very close but do to paying for it with cash from my line of credit which my old man is a co-signer on he would stop the bank from allowing the transfer of funds to the dealer... had to be our price or no deal... anyhow now looking at rangers. funny thing is the dealer said rangers are a cheaper vehicle however most of the rangers ive seen are for more than the colorado i took out with nearly the same specs and identical mileage.... so

do to the old man, i dont want to look like a jackass next time i go onto that lot so they wont talk to me, or do i keep being super aggressive with my offer on a used truck?:blink: basically how aggressive a price is too agressive 30% less than the ticket price

·
Registered
618 Posts
Since your in Canada, I don't know what the prices are up there. I know in the USA, dealers are "Dog eat dog". So what is the price your talking about, a figure??

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
asking 14,500 i offered 10,500 without tax with trade

·
Registered
618 Posts
What's your trade-in worth? What's the mileage on the new truck. I've seen plenty of colorados that are a year or two + older 15-25k miles, for $8000 and 1 for $8999 with a astrobody.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my trade in is 1000 -1200 depending on who does the appraisal, the colorado im looking at is a 06 with 46,000 on it

·
Superior Firepower
5,089 Posts
my trade in is 1000 -1200 depending on who does the appraisal, the colorado im looking at is a 06 with 46,000 on it
That truck is past it's half life. The stealer should have jumped on your offer. Greedy bustards. You did good to walk away. One look under the hood and anybody can tell they're crap. GMC wouldn't accept my offer either, now they are out of business, I'm still driving my old old van with 208k.

·
Registered
618 Posts
That truck is past half it's useful life... typically in my neck of the woods... California.... any Ranger, S-10, Colorado, Mazda B-Series..expect to pay big for mechanical repairs/overhaul at 80k-100k. So you buying a piece of crap junk.... dealer really should be selling that truck for $4999-7000.

·
Registered
618 Posts
You can't go wrong with new... you might be able to talk a dealer into selling you a new Chevy Colorado for $12k out the door... I saw an ad a few days ago for $9999 before tax,title... If your trade-in is only worth $1200 or so... keep it as a spare... you can never go wrong having an extra set of wheels.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
at 46,000 kms its past its life???? runs super smooth, very clean . just needs tires and i might get it for $10,617 our dollar is 90c on the american dollar right now

brand new colorados are 28,999 ticket price average depending on the options

·
Registered
618 Posts
uhh.... yeah buddy... colorados are a pile of crap..... GM (garbage motors)... they're in bankruptcy for a reason..they suck in high mileage reliability. But goodluck with your purchase, we've given you some advice that truck is probably overpriced... Goodluck..

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for the info anyhow guys, prob just a matter of days before i finally make my mind up and go for it. otherwise i found a 06 ranger which is going for about $2500 less than any other ranger in town with its specs

1 - 20 of 20 Posts