Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a local add for a 2205 trak skid steer with 3 attachmentsfor 4500. I think it was a D300? The ad stated 'need to seel fast'. I know nothing about these things, except I have no use for one. I did try to contact the person seller by phone and email. Could never make contact. I would possibly have bought the thing for that price after researching a little, if I could be certain it was not stolen.
Maybe the guy got tired of answering all the calls after the first person to respong bought it?

Maybe he was in a bind and just needed to pay it off to protect his credit?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

P.S. My intention was to buy and maybe resell. Make a few bucks and save someone who needed it a few bucks.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
How about "scam"? These adds, that are about 1/4 of a machines value, are typically scammers out to nail someone. They want cash, and show you the machine, and leave....the problem is: They don't own the machine they show you.

Of course, if it was local, and you could run a lien check on it, and it is legitimate, then it is one of the rare good deals that is sometimes out there.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe he sold it to someone quick and got the hell out of Dodge. Tried the number again this morning for the hell of it and got a busy signal. Tried again later and nothing. I don't even know what area the arte code is for.

This is the number given - 866-571-5426 Not fouind with a revers number lookup. Just strange.

I thought about checking with the company that puts the paper out to see if maybe a mistake had been made with the number or price.

I also thought how strange it would be if it was stolen from someone from the forums. It would sure feel good to find something like that for someone.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got a response from the seller. Free delivery within 500 miles. Claims to be in Nebraska. Also says he can help with cheap transport if necessary. Sounds too strange for me.
I think you hit th enail on the head, Joasis.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Yell him you will be there, in person, with cash in hand, and see what he says.

Or....you can look up the name of a heavy equipment dealer....tell him you want him to deliver it there, they will have your money there, in cash, and pay after inspecting and verifying serial numbers.....

·
Contractor
7,745 Posts
I suspect fraud on this one, I would let it go. Most attachments would be worth more than what he is asking for the whole package.

Why is he advertising in LA. for equipment the is in NE.?

Here are some guide lines to avoid fraud;
Preventing online Fraud

al.com and its affiliate(s) Press Register, Birmingham News, Huntsville Times DO NOT perform any of the following services in connection with advertiser offers:

Collect funds from/for the buyer or the seller
Hold funds from/for the buyer or the seller
Guarantee funds from/for the buyer or the seller
Store merchandise from/for the buyer or the seller
Ship merchandise from/for the buyer or the seller
If anyone that you contact regarding merchandise, pets, vehicles, housing or employment indicates that al.com and its affiliate(s) Mississippi Press, Press Register, Birmingham News, Huntsville Times in any way insures or endorses the transaction - this is FALSE.

(Please read our User Agreement here)

Be wary about inquiries from anyone outside our local area. We encourage you to deal locally. Placing classified ads online with al.com and and its affiliate(s) Press Register, Birmingham News, Huntsville Times is a fun and cost effective way for your message to reach a broad audience within our local area. Most of our readers have great experiences using our online classifieds. However, there are Internet scams and frauds that you should be aware of, and many of them involve 'offers' from people outside our local area. This doesn't mean that all such offers are fraudulent - just be careful.

Common types of Internet fraud

Wire fraud. In this scenario, the scammer/buyer will request permission to wire-transfer money directly into the seller's bank account. By providing confidential bank account information to the buyer, your account may be compromised. Always use caution when providing any form of personal information.

Overpayment Scam. In this very common scenario, a scammer/buyer will contact a seller and negotiate a deal on merchandise. Many times, this buyer is located outside of the United States, and poses as a "broker" or a "third party" on behalf of another interested party. The buyer will send a cashier's check (or money order) for more than the asking price of the merchandise. The buyer will instruct the seller to send the difference for the overpayment. Unfortunately, the cashier's check or money order used to originally pay the buyer is counterfeit and will be returned to the seller with insufficient funds. The seller is then cheated out of his or her own cash, plus any merchandise that was sent.

Too good to be true? Products that are priced way too low should raise a red flag. For instance, if a motorcycle is stated to be in "excellent" condition and yet is priced thousands below book value, you should proceed with caution. While not all bargains are scams, you may see clues when you contact the seller. Be wary of sellers from out of state / country; incorrect phone numbers or the inability to reach the seller via phone or physical address; and special situations such as the seller needing money quickly. To protect yourself, ask specific questions about authenticity, serial numbers, etc. Do your part to protect yourself - if you feel like a deal is too good to be true, it usually is.

Work-at-home scams. Be very skeptical of any "company" that advertises a work-at-home opportunity and requires advance payment or deposits on items or services. Be skeptical of earnings claims that sound too good to be true. Ask detailed questions about what exactly you will have to do to earn money with the program; i.e., who will pay you, will you be paid on commission, etc.

Customs scams. There are recent reports from the IFCC involving Eastern European countries and high incidences of fraud. Many of the fraudulent buyers of items are located in these countries and often ask that the seller ship in a manner that will avoid customs or taxes. Sellers should be wary of this type of behavior.

Many internet scams involve one or more of the following:

An inquiry from someone in another country
Western Union, Money Gram, cashier's check, money order, shipping, escrow service, or a "guarantee"
Inability or refusal to meet face-to-face before transaction.
Be wary of anyone claiming they are acting on behalf of another customer.
Be wary of postings that do not provide any contact information.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have let this go.
Things that concerned me- no tel. communication ( not even a ring tone for the most part), he is in Nebraska, I found the add in a local (Alabama) penny paper classified, If he had time to email, several days after I first tried to call, he had time to answer the phone, and priced too cheap.

Call me paranoid, but now I half expect to see the my puter start acting funny. Like maybe the real object was to get ppl to respond to his email. In fact, I did notice that my security program was off temp jsut day or so ago. I didn't think it was going to let me turn it back on. Then it was on. Time to have this thing scanned by a pro, I think.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I think a moderator on WWT also fell for this one, to the point he was trying to get someone to check it out in person...of course, the deal vanished.

·
Contractor
7,745 Posts
I googled the phone number and he was in a few AL. publications.

I was tempted to try and call myself just for fun and see what came of it. But seriously, the attachments, even if it were just 3 loader buckets, would be worth more than what he was asking.

Oh, and in the adds I saw he was only axing $4,200. You would have got ripped off 300 bucks. :blink:

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I googled the phone number and he was in a few AL. publications.

I was tempted to try and call myself just for fun and see what came of it. But seriously, the attachments, even if it were just 3 loader buckets, would be worth more than what he was asking.

Oh, and in the adds I saw he was only axing $4,200. You would have got ripped off 300 bucks. :blink:

You are right. As I was checking this post, I thought I had made a mistake on the price. I thought 'I think that was $4200'.

P.S. I have never thought of googling a number. Good to know. :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts