Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Priming over new drywall and skimmed walls. I used Kilz 0 voc and was not happy with the bonding.

Owner is all about low voc.

Recommendations please. Thanks

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
put good paint into the used 0 voc can! I havent used any kilz product for years for the same reason its not what it once was imho

I hate the new formula paints I have tried, unless you get to the highest $$ of a line they all lack alot.

I use Zinzzer 123 with good results def not low voc tho

·
Registered
136 Posts
I just used a product called guards. It's low voc and was recommended from our wallpaper guy. We did prime over it with flat before doing some eggshell. We used it to cover new and old drywall that had wallpaper removed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
SW sells promar-200 primer thar iirc is 0 voc. I've only used it a few times to prime over small patch jobs with the most recent being in a laboratory setting. Never used it on more than one sheet but it seemed to stick well enough and we haven't received any warrantee calls.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
I just used a product called guards. It's low voc and was recommended from our wallpaper guy. We did prime over it with flat before doing some eggshell. We used it to cover new and old drywall that had wallpaper removed.
Gardz is pretty good stuff, it's basically made to seal drywall where the paper facing has been removed. Only problem is it's clear.

I know SW and BM both have 0 voc primers.

·
Registered
Remodel
32,244 Posts
Gardz is pretty good stuff, it's basically made to seal drywall where the paper facing has been removed. Only problem is it's clear.

I know SW and BM both have 0 voc primers.
New drywall, skimmed walls, you name it - pretty much any porous surface. Besides excellent adhesion, it makes it easy to get consistent gloss and sheen with fewer top coats in those difficult situations. Eggshell on a smooth wall or ceiling with grazing light come to mind, since I once had to 5 coat a new ceiling to get it perfect.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, thanks guys. Bonehead mistake on my part. Going by my PPG store today to pick up an order and will see what they have in their line.

I do have accounts at BM and SW but use PPG for most everything.

·
Registered
136 Posts
avenge said:
Gardz is pretty good stuff, it's basically made to seal drywall where the paper facing has been removed. Only problem is it's clear. I know SW and BM both have 0 voc primers.
It being clear is the only downside I noticed. We ended up putting a flat coat the same color as finish coat just to see the minor imperfections. Worked out well. And the stuff really has almost no odor too it so it was great in the occupied building we're working in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts