Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Ceramic tile as backsplash

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  FHS 
#1 ·
Hello all, I'm a hvac contractor here in Alabama. My ? Is. I'm going to put up a backsplash in my kitchen behind my stove and under the surrounding cabinets. Do I need backer board? Or can a prime and use mastic? Or Mabee a 1/4" sheet of plywood. I'm trying not to come out so thick off of the wall if I can help. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#3 ·
I prefer to cut the wall out and do it right.

Warning: Some advice offered on this site may include activities in which there exists the potential for seriously ugly tile installs.

#8 ·
I use mastic on some backspalshes it really depends on the tile. But seems mostly people are using stone back spalshes and that requires thinset. Still now need to tear a wall out unless there is tile there now and replaceing the backsplash.Or you can use Kerdi over the dry wall and tile on top of that if you are worried about water. But backsplashs are more or less a decoration in the kitchen nothing more nothing less. And around the stove they are a splash gaurd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.