Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunken deck

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  greg24k 
#1 ·
I am in charge of repairing a deck that has sunk about two inches and is now uneven with the stairs. I dig and discovered that there is concrete aroumd the base of the post nearest the sinkage. I can't jack it up higher and resecure it due to the existing concrete makes it too heavy.

My question, Is it smart to cut the 6x6 post (2ft below the ground) with a sawzall, (deck supported by wooden 4x4 on car Jack's) jack the deck up and pour new concrete on top of the old concrete and let it all dry before releasing the jacked up deck. There would now be about 12" of the main post still in concrete directly on top of the old concrete. The deck is small and only 8ft by 12ft, would it still be secure enough after cutting the post?

#3 ·
I am impressed how quickly responses come on this site! It's amazing. Honestly, i am In charge of this project because it's my deck. I read somewhere that this was a forum for professionals only. So, I just asked the question that way and thought that some one on this forum might potentially be a huge help to me with just a keyboard.

There is no forum that I could find for amateur Carpenters. I am just looking for someone who can give me some advice to avoid mistakes.

What do you think about. My project? I think it would be fine to do what i propsed based on the size of the deck. 1ft of the remaining post in concrete and buried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.