Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Laminate Over Pex

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  GothamTile 
#1 ·
Good Day all, new member first time post.

I have a client who has installed 1/2" PEX heat in their kitchen and wants to install lifeproof LVT floating floor over it. What is the best way to encase the PEX that works best with the flooring type?

I have encased PEX a hundred times in a mortar bed and then installed tile over it, but never LVT. I know that the mortar beds have a semi-loose surface (you can scratch it with your fingernail and it's like sand) so I am worried that you will hear crackling under your feet as you walk on a floating floor. Any ideas? Suggestions?

#2 ·
Gypcrete or SLC would be great but expensive.

Some simply use plywood but you lose a lot of heat transfer.

You could do your mortar bed and then scratch coat it with something more solid, or pour 1/8" of SLC over it to smooth it out.

#3 ·
The customer is now asking if there is a concrete mix that they can purchase at home depot (cost effective), mix with water and pour over the PEX. Now I would imagine the most expensive way to pour is with a self leveler such as Henry 565, but can we use regular Quikrete or Sakrete? And if so, which one do you recommend that is cost effective, and will have a good heat transfer?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.