We wanted to transform our shop room into a show room. Often, customers will ask us what a specific floor looks like. And no matter how much we describe texture and milage, customers simply won't be able to relate to that type of language. So, we thought by turning our shop room into a show room, we would be able to offer a demonstration for anyone wanting to know what a double broadast floor system would look like. So we removed our previous floor, and replaced it with a chip-flake, double broadcast, triple grout epoxy sytem. And sandwiched between all of those coats was our 10' x 4' logo, printed on a mesh vinyl.
The floor was measured at about 870 square feet, and we estimated about 60 hours to complete the project.
1. Grind the floor - as always, when installing a resiounous floor, the first step is always to grind the floor. There was a previous coating on the floor, but it was not failing. So we didn't remove the coating, but instead, ground the coating until it had adequate abrasion.
2. Install the logo - we set a white background on the ground floor, made from 100% solid epoxy. We let it cure for a day, then layed the mesh logo onto of the background. Then, we used polyaspartic to flood the mesh logo. The polyaspartic soaked through the mesh, and sealed the logo onto the floor, for a secure bond.
3. 1st broadcast - The floor was broadcast with 1/16" inch chip flakes, which were almost the size of quartz broadcast (but not nearly as heavy). We coated the floor in non-yellowing epoxy, then broadcast the chip flakes onto the epoxy.
4. 2nd broadcast - after letting the broadcast sit for a day, we swept the loose broadcast off the floor. We coated it again ith non-yellowing epoxy, and broadcast a 2nd time, ensuring that the floor is adequately covered.
5. Grout coats - Again, we swept the loose broadcast off the floor. For our grout coats, we chose polyaspartic, because it is non-yellowing, and cures quickly so that our installers were able to have apply 3 grouts in 1 day. The first 2 grouts were polyaspartic, then we installed lines to designate the location for the job-boxes and fork lift, and then we sealed everything, including lines and logo, with a final top coat of aliphatic urethane.
Overall, the project was completed under the budgeted hours. And is now ready to be presented for our next potential customers.