New Small Buisiness - Insurance Question. - Demolition - Contractor Talk

New Small Buisiness - Insurance Question.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #1

Trade: Demolition
Rewards Points: 4

New Small Buisiness - Insurance Question.

Hello ladies and gentlemen! I have been in construction for roughly 20 years. I have been trying to get my own business started for the past 5-7 years, and now is the time. What my plan is to do is basically cleaning out retail, commercial, tenant, or office spaces for the new tenants to come in and do their new fit out to fit the new need of the space. I am not planning on demolishing entire structures, or taking floors off of buildings, taking down water towers and such, only interior demo for the new tenant fit out to begin.

My main question is this how do I insure this company? Do I actually need to be insured as a full scale demolition company to perform this type of work? 99% of this work will have no hazardous chemicals or materials. Around here where I live most all of the malls, office buildings, etc. have already been abated or were built long after the cessation of the use of asbestos and lead paint.

I am really hoping I can insure myself as a handyman of sorts, at least for the first few years until I can grow my business and then take the leap off into larger types of projects. I certainly appreciate any input you seasoned demolition guys can give me. Hopefully this forum will prove to be a valuable resource for me as I tackle this endeavor.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-03-2017, 12:20 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 3,034

Re: New Small Buisiness - Insurance Question.

What you are describing is the function of a General Contractor, at least in California.

What do your state's contracting laws say?

Advertisement

Old 02-03-2017, 12:52 PM   #3

General contractors here bid this work out, get day laborers, or hire directly without biding the work to their friends. The latter is my goal.

Also, I am not planning on completing the new fit out work, only gutting the space for the new work to be performed.

Last edited by ConstructionOne; 02-03-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2017, 01:08 PM   #4

I'm currently averaging $4-6 million a year in my current capacity. That's roughly 25-30 jobs a year. I do have a lot of very close relationships in the industry.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:24 PM   #5

Trade: painter
Rewards Points: 6

You may want to ask your insurance agent. I had to take handyman off our list of items we do to keep our insurance. And construction one are you in with construction 1 inc? or just choose that as your user name?