Corner To Corner Slump - Demolition - Contractor Talk

Corner To Corner Slump

Old 11-02-2008, 01:53 PM   #1

Trade: worker
Rewards Points: 25

Corner To Corner Slump

I was in a new home (2005) recently and it had eleven full height cracks in the foundation, too much water was added on site to the mix before pouring in my opinion. Corner to corner slumpů.

How often do most of you see this condition or witness the process being done.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-02-2008, 11:09 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 3,262

Re: Corner To Corner Slump

Don't think I've ever seen foundation cracks that bad, meaning bad enough to need repair. Only seen it in slabs. But yes, got to be careful on house foundations, no special inspectors are there watching them. They can put however much water in they want, and typically no one says anything.

Advertisement

Old 12-02-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,954

Re: Corner To Corner Slump

Adding water is a very common fault with poured foundation contractors. The water makes their job easier since they let the concrete flow and do not vibrate. - I will bet it is not square either.

Where the cracks from the corners of the windows and in the middle of longer straight walls?

Just hope he did not do any ICF walls also.

That many cracks could even suggest some footing problems even if the cracks look like typical shrinkage cracks.

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.

Last edited by concretemasonry; 12-02-2008 at 02:44 PM.