Asbestos Testing - Hazardous Materials - Contractor Talk

Asbestos Testing

Old 11-09-2010, 08:23 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Plumbing & remodeling
Rewards Points: 10

Asbestos Testing

I was wondering if anyone tests for asbestos in plaster or joint compound prior to demo in a residential setting? It seems like a smart thing to do, but is it feasable? It seems like asbestos would be more of a risk than a little lead paint, but I guess people don't really think about it because it takes a long time to have any effect if ever

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-09-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 50

Re: Asbestos Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb21 View Post
...I was wondering if anyone tests for asbestos in plaster or joint compound prior to demo in a residential setting? It seems like a smart thing to do, but is it feasable?... but I guess people don't really think about it because it takes a long time to have any effect if ever
Yes. For your well being and that of your client. Also to CYA for liability. You'd be surprised who is snitching who off anymore. If your client for some reason gets wind of or thinks there may be asbestos they can make life he!! for you. Yes it takes a long time to see the effects of Asbestosis and it can take a small amount from a small job to raise havoc with you later.

Advertisement

Old 11-09-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
New Guy

Trade: Plumbing & remodeling
Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the response. I agree with you, I want to test for it but I wasn't sure if I would loose a lot of work from the added expense. But, at the end of the day, if I loose a job here or there, at least I can sleep at night & I'll know I did the right thing. I especially would not want to expose a little kid to it. The company I work for now, a large outfit in DC does not test for it, at least on residential remodels & service work. If our employees spot it on piping of course they won't touch it, but as far as joint compound/ plaster goes, they don't test. I think it should be more of a standard practice imho
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 3,394

Would it be friable if it was in the compound? Seems to me dust from drywall demo comes from the rock itself, not the compound. Maybe some compound does get in the air though, I don't know.

I have never seen anyone test for that in joint compound. But if you do start testing, get yourself certified to take samples, that will cut back on your expenses. Have a lab do the testing though.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
New Guy

Trade: Carpenter In Sweden
Rewards Points: 16

This week i was on asbestos education. And man i got scarred , here in Sweden they used asbestos in everything, glue for carpets, chaulk, roofs, paint. I knew some had asbestos but almost everything in construction between 1950-1982 has some asbestos.

Is it as much in the Us as in Sweden?
Old 05-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 589

Where I live, asbestos removal is governed by "clean air agencies." (Apparently, all of the other hundreds of agencies are busy governing every other aspect of the building industry, garage sales and lemonade stands!)

In order to perform ANY demo to a structure built before 1977, you must pay for an asbestos evaluation and have all asbestos removed by a certified contractor.

This sounds good on the surface but I just had to pay $1200 to have some windows removed because there was 2% asbestos in the window glazing putty. Seriously!!!! The entire process took about 6 weeks because you need a permit in order to obtain a permit. And then, at the end of the day, the cool, old windows had to be destroyed because of a microscopic amount of asbestos that had probably been there for 50 years!

I get that we don't want to expose workers or homeowners to dangerous levels of asbestos. But at least where I live, we have created another burdensome, overreacting and self-regulating system that is a pain-in-the-neck for those who play by the rules and is totally ignored by everybody else.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:00 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik.E View Post
This week i was on asbestos education. And man i got scarred , here in Sweden they used asbestos in everything, glue for carpets, chaulk, roofs, paint. I knew some had asbestos but almost everything in construction between 1950-1982 has some asbestos.

Is it as much in the Us as in Sweden?
Absolutely. Roofing, flooring, siding, fire resistive coatings, insulation, various glues,...
Old 05-31-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: builder fl cbc
Rewards Points: 890

shoot i cant demo any commercial with out abatement
The Following User Says Thank You to sunkist For This Useful Post:
hdavis (05-31-2012)
Old 05-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

What's the % amount at which point you ahveto have abatement. Reason I'm asking is a HO I priced a job for was telling me about their basement flooding and the insurance company had a company come in to remove the drywall, floor tiles etc etc and found 2% in the plaster and 3% in the tile. The company didn't do anything other than put the debris into a plastic bag. The woman said their was dust everywhere in the house and none of the guys had masks or suits on. They didn't even dust down after of test the air!
Old 05-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #10
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,968

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCConstruction
What's the % amount at which point you ahveto have abatement. Reason I'm asking is a HO I priced a job for was telling me about their basement flooding and the insurance company had a company come in to remove the drywall, floor tiles etc etc and found 2% in the plaster and 3% in the tile. The company didn't do anything other than put the debris into a plastic bag. The woman said their was dust everywhere in the house and none of the guys had masks or suits on. They didn't even dust down after of test the air!
Sounds like they skipped a couple steps at least with protection . Was the company a abatement company or a national flood company .
Old 05-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillman View Post
Sounds like they skipped a couple steps at least with protection . Was the company a abatement company or a national flood company .
Yep I won't mention their name here but they "serve" the flood industry.

She said they also charged her insurance company about $15k to do the work. When I looked it was no more than a couple days work for 2-3 guys.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #12
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 6

I just gutted my own house. We had old hot air ducts with asbestos wrap. I suited up with tyvek, and respirator and removed it myself. Soaked the stuff real well with mist setting on garden hose and vacuumed with hepa vac. I'm sure my way was better than what the demo guys would have done (animals) and just as good as some rip off abatement company
Old 05-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #13
Pro

I would get a consult from a local company in there to check cause of risk to you later on after you leave or during project .
Old 05-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #14
Box Builder

I'm not worried. The whole interior is coming out. I was real careful. I had it tested years ago and it wasn't that bad as far as asbestos goes. Hepa vacuumed whole house and digging out basement.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Wood
I'm not worried. The whole interior is coming out. I was real careful. I had it tested years ago and it wasn't that bad as far as asbestos goes. Hepa vacuumed whole house and digging out basement.
You have Hepa vac designed for asbestos .
Old 05-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #16
Box Builder

Oh man. Don't start in. I'm gonna get worried.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Wood
Oh man. Don't start in. I'm gonna get worried.
Not picking on anything . Just curious from what you posted .
Old 05-07-2013, 06:18 AM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillman View Post
You have Hepa vac designed for asbestos .
As far as in know HEPA filters are rated for asbestos. The majority of the vacs are not though. If you used the festool vac with the heap filter it's certified for no leakage past the filter so you should be good. If you used most of the ridgid line you probably pumped most of that dust back into the house.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #19
Box Builder

No. I used my brand spanking new certified heap vac. I really soaked the stuff anyway. No dust. No dust that I could see :

Advertisement