What To Use???? - Sandblasting - Contractor Talk

What To Use????

Old 11-22-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
Nita

Trade: Media Blasting
Rewards Points: 10

What To Use????

New to the forum and pretty much a newbie at blasting. Wondering how you decide what media to use if customer DOESN'T have a preference? Did have one guy just have to have crushed walnut... was on '41(?) Ford jeep. Didn't get the result I would have preferred, but he stood and watched the whole time saying "That's good enough;... don't worry about that side " Small job, but every little bit of experience helps.

Saw a post by "Betterblast" earlier this year using walnut on an Impala hood... wondering if you chose that media, Glen or did customer request it? And why?
We haven't really advertised much, but do have a yellow page ad coming out in local lake area phone book soon. Never blasted any boats. We have used Super K on old cars, but no longer cost effective. We have a pallet of Walnut from Surface Tek and a pallet of Natrium 260 soda. After finding this website, wondering if we shouldn't have gotten fine, crushed glass instead of soda (we also have some medium crushed glass).

Any advice is good advice.....

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-23-2010, 12:51 AM   #2
nbjornson

Trade: Abrasive Blasting

Re: What To Use????

Hello,

In regards to your question about abrasive in this application. Alot of customers use bi-carb (baking soda) from Natrium or Armex. However alot alos use Plastic. The reason is that plastic can be recycled and is normally used in a blast room where bi-carb is a one use media and challenging / expensive to convey, and expensive to purchase since it is one use. Walnut shells can also be used but expect it to take longer than plastic. Plastic will not harm the substrate either but it is angular so it works by cutting action. Hope this helps some.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to nbjornson For This Useful Post:
MO_Blast_Momma (11-23-2010)
Old 11-23-2010, 01:00 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: media blaster
Rewards Points: 270

i originally bought my problast (same as surface tek) pot and fell into the "soda does it all" sales pitch. It took me about a week to figure out that wasnt true. so. tried walnuts. i have had zero luck blasting with them as they are way too slow. i have 500 or so pounds here so may try again. i do want to make them work so will keep trying
crushed glass. i use more glass than anything else now. natrium soda on the fragile stuff and glass on the rest. i use mostly 50-100 as i dont blast any really rusty industrial stuff. (i leave that to the $70/hr guys)
The Following User Says Thank You to ratherberacin For This Useful Post:
MO_Blast_Momma (11-23-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2010, 05:23 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: abrassive blasting
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbjornson View Post
Hello,

In regards to your question about abrasive in this application. Alot of customers use bi-carb (baking soda) from Natrium or Armex. However alot alos use Plastic. The reason is that plastic can be recycled and is normally used in a blast room where bi-carb is a one use media and challenging / expensive to convey, and expensive to purchase since it is one use. Walnut shells can also be used but expect it to take longer than plastic. Plastic will not harm the substrate either but it is angular so it works by cutting action. Hope this helps some.

What type of plastic media would you recommend for auto work?
Would melamine be the most affective or acrylic or urea?
I am interested in this also.
How many times can the media be reused?
Thank you for the info on the hodge clemco products. I have been talking to there sales rep and they seem very professional. I will be buying a unit through them very soon.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:58 AM   #5
nbjornson

Trade: Abrasive Blasting

Alot of customers use urea type II maybe a 20/30 mesh. You will get about 6-8 passes out of the abrasive before it breaks down. Typical blast pressure about 40-60 psi. No need to work higher than that.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:42 PM   #6
Glen

Trade: Media blasting
Rewards Points: 686

Hello Mo Blast, The customer didn't want any chance of warping and there wasn't rust to be concerned with so I chose walnut. I have soda but then there are the paint issues. I save the soda for boats and around engines and such.

Rather, I just put a post on Jim's "show us your work" thread of a recent walnut blast.
http://betterblast.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to Betterblast For This Useful Post:
MO_Blast_Momma (11-24-2010)
Old 11-24-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: abrassive blasting
Rewards Points: 500

I called a few suppliers yesterday and plastic is out of the question in my overpriced country it is sold buy the kilo and costs $8.00 per kilo
So walnut and glass for me I think.
I should have my pot in 6 weeks time
Old 11-28-2010, 09:43 PM   #8
Kelly

Rewards Points: 254

I have blasted several cars now with 70 grit at 35-40psi no warping what so ever it leaves a very nice finish ready for primer. I don't have a blast room so have never tried plastic or walnut. I would suggest you run an ad either in craigslist or local cheap paper to find some junk car body parts. Hoods, trunk lids, or the junk yard. I find it cheaper in craigslist then at the junk yard. I do all my testing on this stuff. Someone that is parting out a Toyota from the 80's or 90's. It takes some practice and you shouldn't really do that on customers cars. I too was sold on the "warping worry" into buying the magic soda. Soda is good for cleaning barbecues this is what I used it on last. I bought an old nasty weber out of craigslist and with soda and water it was like new. I still have a pallet of soda to use I'm thinking of selling most of it since I don't use it much.
Attached Thumbnails
what to use????-dscn1415small.jpg  

Last edited by kell490; 11-28-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:37 AM   #9
Glen

Rewards Points: 686

I've also used glass on auto parts with no sign of warping but it is a possibility. Mostly giving the customer the choice lets some of the responsibility off of your shoulders since you can just do the best you can. Another difference with the non abrasives is somtimes they will leave the chrome drip moldings on or glass or door handles... The crushed glass will etch those so be carefull.
http://betterblast.com/
Old 12-05-2010, 08:04 PM   #10

Trade: Mobile Media Blasting
Rewards Points: 75

If the customer doesn't have a preference or an uninformed preference. I recommend what I know will have great results with the lowest cost to me and easiest cleanup. Like most I LOVE glass. On industrial stuff I've used some Nickel Slag that I get for half the price of glass and works really well.

John

Advertisement