What Media To Start Out With? - Sandblasting - Contractor Talk

What Media To Start Out With?

Old 07-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #1

Trade: painter/builder
Rewards Points: 10

What Media To Start Out With?

I just started visiting the site and introduced myself a week or 2 ago. I just finialized my quote for my pot and want to get a couple of palets of media shiped with it. There is no local source up here so i have to stock some up.

Looking for the best low cost media to try as a staple. I was thinking medium crushed glass but Norton recomends Jet Mag. What do you think?

Is there any thing i should get a dozen bags of to try out?

I have a log siding job, a couple of trailers, a steel roof, and possibly some big concrete fish tanks to start on.

And thanks for all the info you guys share on the site, it really helped picking out my gear. When it all showes up i will throw up some pictures and details.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #2

Trade: Coatings Sales/Service & Media Blasting
Rewards Points: 85

Re: What Media To Start Out With?

welcome, Me personally, If you have the ability, I would bring in a skid/pallet of Medium and Fine Crushed Glass and it should cover "almost" any job you have and give you the ability to play around with production rates, surface profiles, coatings removal, etc...I recently started using the "fine" in lieu of "soda" on some fiberglas jobs and it works great, as long as you know what to look for and have the ability to "test" some things out. I am sure you will get all types of feedback as to what guys like, don't like, etc... I am just giving you mine.....Live and learn....right.?

Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: DUST FREE Media Blasting and Sandblasting
Rewards Points: 838

Re: What Media To Start Out With?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstrick78 View Post
I just started visiting the site and introduced myself a week or 2 ago. I just finialized my quote for my pot and want to get a couple of palets of media shiped with it. There is no local source up here so i have to stock some up.

Looking for the best low cost media to try as a staple. I was thinking medium crushed glass but Norton recomends Jet Mag. What do you think?

Is there any thing i should get a dozen bags of to try out?

I have a log siding job, a couple of trailers, a steel roof, and possibly some big concrete fish tanks to start on.

And thanks for all the info you guys share on the site, it really helped picking out my gear. When it all showes up i will throw up some pictures and details.
I have a friend who does a lot of blasting in the Norfolk VA area who swears by JetMag... says the stuff blends in real well with dirt in grass.

Funny guy.