Towable Air Compressor - Sandblasting - Contractor Talk

Towable Air Compressor

Old 04-07-2015, 11:05 AM   #1

Trade: Sandblasting/Powdercoating
Rewards Points: 28

Towable Air Compressor

So, I have found a very nice property for my business. They used to build some sort of small aircraft there, and they already have a 35 hp compressor, dryer, tank, and lines all set up. this will work well for the paint booth, and other shop chores. I want to get a towable unit for the sandblasting set up. 185 CFM, SullAir, IR, or something of that nature. There are also 210 Units for sale. Should I move toward those, or is 185 good enuff?

My question to you is what is considered high hours for a used unit? I have found a website with several Sunbelt Rental units for sale. All have between 3-4K hours on them with John Deere engines. I have a 50 hp JD farm tractor with 3700 hrs on it, and it still runs like a champ. Ive seen some military units on Gov Liquidation with 43,000 hours on them!!!

I also see several for sale on the CK Industrial website, among a few other things on there I would like to have. Are they reputable?

Hope everyone had a good Easter!!

Thanks for your time, Mike.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-07-2015, 03:14 PM   #2
Bob

Trade: Abrasive blasting
Rewards Points: 886

Re: Towable Air Compressor

I'd go for lower hours and pay a bit more. The diesels are good for a long haul but the compressor air ends can get very expensive to repair and depending on the maintenance they've received . . . Whatever you decide to buy I'd have it checked out by a qualified shop.

Size wise there is no such thing as too much air but if your jobs are generally small there's no sense in going crazy on the cfm. These things can really chew up the fuel.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Sand Pot For This Useful Post:
mmaher (04-07-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 08:30 AM   #3

I am planning on doing some industrial jobs in house. So I don't mind buying a bit bigger to assure I will be able to handle those needs. From what I have read here, most people are using a 185 CFM unit.

I guess its just a crap shoot depending on the maintenance. IR is local to me here, but that has no bearing on getting cheap parts though.

Do the rental companies *usually* do a good job with maintenance? I did find a 185 with 345 hours on it. But I have to drive to Florida. grrr. Guess I could visit Blastserv while I am down there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2015, 09:41 AM   #4
Bob

Trade: Abrasive blasting
Rewards Points: 886

Last fall I found an IR 185 with 100 hours 2 years old for about 1/3 cost of a new one, got lucky.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:14 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Media Blasting
Rewards Points: 275

I wouldn't always trust the hours on rental compressors unless the service records can back it up.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:25 PM   #6

Heck at this point in my life, I don't believe anything unless it's been under my roof. (I dont have kids,lol)
Old 04-10-2015, 10:51 PM   #7

Trade: media blasting
Rewards Points: 328

Hours on a machine mean nothing if it has not been taken care of. Having it checked out may seem like a waste of money up front but can save you a lot in the long run.

For size, calculate your largest nozzle size and highest pressure. #6 nozzle @100psi = 200cfm

You can easily find a pressure chart online.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:50 PM   #8

Trade: sandblasting/pressurewashing
Rewards Points: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaher View Post
So, I have found a very nice property for my business. They used to build some sort of small aircraft there, and they already have a 35 hp compressor, dryer, tank, and lines all set up. this will work well for the paint booth, and other shop chores. I want to get a towable unit for the sandblasting set up. 185 CFM, SullAir, IR, or something of that nature. There are also 210 Units for sale. Should I move toward those, or is 185 good enuff?

My question to you is what is considered high hours for a used unit? I have found a website with several Sunbelt Rental units for sale. All have between 3-4K hours on them with John Deere engines. I have a 50 hp JD farm tractor with 3700 hrs on it, and it still runs like a champ. Ive seen some military units on Gov Liquidation with 43,000 hours on them!!!

I also see several for sale on the CK Industrial website, among a few other things on there I would like to have. Are they reputable?

Hope everyone had a good Easter!!

Thanks for your time, Mike.
Hi Mike.

I have a DB500 with a sullair 185cfm compressor available for sale in the Raleigh area. if you are interested.

FRAN
Old 09-13-2019, 02:58 PM   #9

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 6

Oil-free or oil-less vs a standard oil compressor depends on the type of job or location in which it will be put. Oil-less compressors are generally louder but much cleaner. A recommendation would be Keaser brand because they are much quieter and efficient compared to other brands. For oil compressors, they run quieter and last longer. Make sure you schedule preventative maintenance to avoid downtime and potentially damaging your unit. A great service is **** if you are out of Michigan or Ohio.

For tow behind compressors, there are customized self-contained kits available out that generally offer more power and can easily be relocated to the area of greatest demand.

Edited to remove link to poster's website. -- Moderator

Last edited by Tinstaafl; 09-13-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:51 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 1,100

When my partners and I bought the business in 84' the first major purchase we had was a 185 cfm IR air compressor. Fast forward to 2019 and that rig is still in service and works fine. No idea how many hours on it, but it's a bunch.

Get an Ingersol Rand if you want reliability.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:00 AM   #11

Trade: Equipment repair
Rewards Points: 2

New to the board. I work on air compressors. I would stay away from any that use the CAT 2.2 engine. Very bad designed engine. Has a tendency to crack the cylinder heads. Lot of manufacturers use John Deere engines. JD 4024 has a problem with the timing gear covers leaking oil into the coolant. Have seen this happen on several of them I have worked on. For my money the best compressors made are Atlas Copco
Old 10-03-2019, 07:15 PM   #12

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 78

What about the JD 4239 engines? Any good or junk?

Advertisement