Stripping Ceilings - Sandblasting - Contractor Talk

Stripping Ceilings

Old 01-26-2011, 12:18 AM  
Bob

Trade: Abrasive blasting
Rewards Points: 886

Stripping Ceilings

Well just finished my first job using my new (used) Surface-Tek pot. Client wanted stain & coating stripped from the wood ceilings in a house remodel. It was big fir beams and car decking t&g planking all through the 2 story house. I shot it with xtra fine walnut shell at about 60 psi, 185 cfm, #6 long nozzle, about 20 hours of time on the compressor over 4 days of work. I had a helper loading the pot and screening the shell. A bunch of the work was on a scaffold. I feel like I spent too much time on the job but I was fiddling with the machine settings and had to troubleshoot a couple of equipment issues along the way so there was some head scratchin' time involved. Up till now I've been doing only slurry blasting, mainly boat bottoms so this was a new experience. Sorry for the pics, I get those spots sometimes, not sure what that is.

stripping ceilings-b4ceiling.jpg

stripping ceilings-afterceiling.jpg

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 12:21 AM  
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,292

Re: Stripping Ceilings

Man you blasters keep impressing me.
Just never been around many of you guys.

Advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 07:29 AM  
Todd

Trade: media blasting
Rewards Points: 762

What type of coating was on it?just stain or was it actually coated with paint?.looks nice...

The spots are dust on your camera lens...
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 07:33 AM  
Pro

Trade: Remodeling contractor
Rewards Points: 250

I'm like griz, and never seen you guys work around here. It looks brand new. Nice job.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:20 AM  
Trial and Error Opperator

Trade: SandBlasting/Soda Blasting
Rewards Points: 864

Hey you contractors, we're good guys to hang around with.
Most contractors have old tailers and staging that needs blasting all the time, but as you can see theres more to our business than just steel.

Boats, cars, and more its limitless.

(ps grew up as a contractors son building houses )

@ Sand Pot That walnut shell worked great. I've been turning down lots of wood products with soda because of the dust.

How was the dust with the walnut & wood?

Thanks
Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/dyers.sodablasting
Old 01-26-2011, 11:04 AM  
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastserv View Post
What type of coating was on it?just stain or was it actually coated with paint?.looks nice...

The spots are dust on your camera lens...
Todd

Not absolutely sure about the coatings. The car decking seemed like a tinted lacquer that was laying on the surface, was pretty easy to deal with. The beams acted more like a stain, probably two coats, majority of it came off first pass but getting out the stuff that had soaked in required more time.

Thanks for the camera tip
Old 01-26-2011, 11:09 AM  
Pro

Trade: media blaster
Rewards Points: 270

looks great!! i am going to move into the wood cleaning this year too. there is a guy locally who does wood and i have been sending work his way but i see now he has moved into the stuff i do so.......game on. lol

spots on your pics can also be dust in the air, depending on how soon you took that pic after blasting it may have been airborne dust
Old 01-26-2011, 11:10 AM  
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyer View Post
Sand Pot That walnut shell worked great. I've been turning down lots of wood products with soda because of the dust.

How was the dust with the walnut & wood?

Thanks
Jim, the dust was fairly intense but manageable. Needless to say between the dust and the noise it didn't take long to knock all the other trades off the job Oh, and I was in a Nova air set-up which was the only way to survive in there.

The owner was thrilled. The GC had put a couple of guys on it with sanders and they just made a mess. I had to go over their work to fix it and have a match in color and texture to the rest of the job.

Last edited by Sand Pot; 01-26-2011 at 11:26 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sand Pot For This Useful Post:
Dyer (01-26-2011)
Old 01-26-2011, 11:24 AM  
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherberacin View Post
looks great!! i am going to move into the wood cleaning this year too. there is a guy locally who does wood and i have been sending work his way but i see now he has moved into the stuff i do so.......game on. lol

spots on your pics can also be dust in the air, depending on how soon you took that pic after blasting it may have been airborne dust
You guys be sure to stay north of the border

BTW, I did the entire job with 500 lbs of shell. The floors were plywood and I swept them clean prior to the work so the spent walnut was easy to recover. Had my helper running it through a sifter box I made up for the job. The shell held up well even though I'd bet some of it went through the pot a dozen times. The pressure was low and the substrate was soft so it seemed happy to continuously recycle.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:40 AM  
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
Man you blasters keep impressing me.
Just never been around many of you guys.
Thanks Griz and hmrepairs. The GC was sweating this job because until I showed up and did this work he was hung out with no way to provide the client with a solution (other than painting everything over).
Old 01-26-2011, 12:06 PM  
Pro

how did the wood hold up to walnuts? still smooth or did you remove some of the softwood?
Old 01-26-2011, 12:28 PM  
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherberacin View Post
how did the wood hold up to walnuts? still smooth or did you remove some of the softwood?
There is a little bit of raised grain in some areas. The most challenging part of the job was removing evidence on the ceiling where some old partition walls had been removed. There were lines of embedded drywall mud and damage on the planking caused by the demo team when they pried off the 2x4 wall top plates. I had to spend more time in those areas to get it all to blend with the adjacent unmarred ceiling so yeah, more soft grain was lost in those areas but it was a necessary thing. GC said to keep hitting it because an alternative solution didn't exist. He may hit those areas with sanders now that I've got them stripped and blended just to knock down the grain a bit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sand Pot For This Useful Post:
ratherberacin (01-26-2011)
Old 01-26-2011, 12:33 PM  
Pro

awesome info, thanks for posting!!
Old 01-26-2011, 01:15 PM  
Pro

Trade: media blasting
Rewards Points: 272

Nice work Bob looks like it turned good!
Old 01-26-2011, 05:26 PM  
Trial and Error Opperator

Trade: SandBlasting/Soda Blasting
Rewards Points: 864

Tanks for all the info

Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/dyers.sodablasting
Old 01-26-2011, 07:07 PM  
New Guy

Trade: Media Blaster
Rewards Points: 25

Can you give some more details or maybe a picture on the screen you used to recycle?
Old 01-26-2011, 10:09 PM  
Pro

Trade: Organic Mold Farmer
Rewards Points: 4,534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand Pot View Post
about 60 psi, 185 cfm, #6 long nozzle, about 20 hours of time on the compressor over 4 days of work. I had a helper loading the pot and screening the shell.
Works that way don't it?

Quote:
I spent too much time on the job but I was fiddling with the machine settings and had to troubleshoot a couple of equipment issues
What were your issues?

Nice job BTW.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:11 PM  
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmrepairs View Post
Im like griz, and never seen you guys work around here.
that's because most of the time they're very dusty and if they're coating too, they also stink.

This is why we all strive to be electricians......
Old 01-26-2011, 10:15 PM  
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand Pot View Post
The owner was thrilled. The GC had put a couple of guys on it with sanders and they just made a mess. I had to go over their work to fix it
On the bright side, at least they didn't bring in a relative's son with a friend's pressure washer....
Old 01-26-2011, 11:17 PM  
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO762 View Post

What were your issues?

Nice job BTW.
Thanks, actually my biggest issue was a mystery for awhile. Sometimes the pot would work great and other times certain things wouldn't function, you know, you hit the switch and at times the media flows and sometimes it doesn't? Then at times I would hit the switch and not even get air . . . so I figure its an electrical gremlin, a short in my deadman circuit . . . for awhile I was thinking there was something wrong with the solenoid air valve that controlled the metering rod. The problem would jump around and was so intermittant that I couldn't pin it down.

Finally I realized that the battery I was using as a power supply for the air cooler and the pot controls was the only thing I hadn't really checked out and sure enough with my multimeter I could see it had been dying a slow death. Even though I had a charger on it to help it keep up there must have been a cell failure. The voltage got so low at times it wouldn't actuate the valves on the pot but if it had been awhile (like during pot fills) the voltage would get high enough in the battery to where everything functioned OK. At least that's what I figured out later. After putting a better battery into the system all my problems were over. I was too far from the compressor to run off its battery so I had the remote power supply set-up but it slowly crapped out on me and took a bunch of time to figure out what was going on. Lesson learned, I'm looking for a kick butt power supply for the 12v pot and cooler circuits when I'm doing remote work.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: