ProBlast/SurfaceTek Question - Sandblasting - Contractor Talk

ProBlast/SurfaceTek Question

Old 04-26-2015, 11:44 AM   #1
Ralph

Trade: Abrasive Blasting
Rewards Points: 99

ProBlast/SurfaceTek Question

As you guys know ProBlast and Surface Tek pots have 2 regulators. One for Pot pressure one for blast pressure. I'm looking at a 3.5 Pirate Pot and it only has one regulator. What I'm thinking is one regulator that controls both pot and blast pressures is easier than playing around to two trying to get them just right.

My thinking is one regulator would make life more simpler or am I missing something?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-26-2015, 02:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 126

Re: ProBlast/SurfaceTek Question

The combo valve on the pirate pots are made by schmidt and there absolutely bulletproof there a great choice of pots and are a lot cheaper than paying for the name brand ones

Advertisement

Old 04-26-2015, 04:36 PM   #3
Todd

Trade: media blasting
Rewards Points: 762

The reason for two regulators is because pot pressure must be a differential of 2 lbs or so to slightly push the media in the pot into the blast stream. Mostly this is needed for light media's all generally soft on the mob scale. Also because they don't fall down the cone into the adjustment valve.
If you are looking for a a machine that does soda and softer method abrasives then a dual regulator type pot is pretty critical. If you are looking for straight abrasive or grit style blasting then a single regulator or actually no regulator is fine.
I adjust at the compressor seperator for pressures usually on my mobile rig and use an inline on my shop electric compressor.
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2015, 05:00 PM   #4
Pro

Rewards Points: 342

Like blastserve Todd said, you need more pressure in your pot than your blast line. I would assume (we all know what that means) that they have engineered that into their product, but I did not see it on their web site.
It depends on what you plan to do. It is not that difficult to manage two pressure regulators. It really does not increase maintenance. I like being able to adjust my pot pressure separately for better control.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:05 PM   #5
Todd

Rewards Points: 762

It actually reduces headaches when blasting with soda. It will keep you flowing properly.i can honestly say I or my employees have never needed to shake the pot to get media flowing through jobs.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:53 PM   #6
Bob

Trade: Abrasive blasting
Rewards Points: 886

I just posted about this very subject:

http://www.contractortalk.com/f95/an...pgrade-161018/

Last edited by Sand Pot; 04-26-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:06 PM   #7
Bob

Trade: Abrasive blasting
Rewards Points: 886

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasterjosh View Post
The combo valve on the pirate pots are made by schmidt and there absolutely bulletproof there a great choice of pots and are a lot cheaper than paying for the name brand ones
That valve would be a Schmidt rip-off clone. Pirate would be the last company Schmidt would sell anything to.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:22 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 126

I own a couple pirate pots they are schmidt valves that's why pirate and schmidt are in a lawsuit right now
Old 04-29-2015, 05:12 PM   #9
Ralph

Trade: Abrasive Blasting
Rewards Points: 99

Thanks guys that's what I thought. I already have 2 ProBlast pots that I converted over with TV on one pot and a TV2 on the other. I'm looking for a slightly larger pot for some of my jobs when I'm mobile.

Advertisement