Looking For Equipment Recommendations - Sandblasting - Contractor Talk

Looking For Equipment Recommendations

Old 06-16-2020, 08:41 PM   #1

Trade: Pool Remodel

Looking For Equipment Recommendations

I am a Las Vegas pool contractor and I have been been blasting porcelain tile to remove calcium for many years. We are starting to see more glass tile Being installed on pools recently, very similar to kitchen backsplash tile. I am looking for a process to Clean the tile without damaging the glass.

I have tried shooting soda out of my existing pots with mixed results and the dust in peoples backyard is a bit of a problem.

I then went on to Max strip that is shot with a pressure washer and it makes a hell of a mess and anywhere that the mist goes the media goes along with it sticking to windows and everything else so that has been A possibility but a whole bunch of cleanup.

I hired a dustless blaster to come out and do a job for me and after having 700 pounds of wet media all over the bottom of the pool and in the main drains I really questioned if this was going to be a process that would work I had high hopes but I don’t think that’s the answer.

So then I moved on to a guy in town that has a ice blasting business and we found that when the tiles were on the smaller size such as 1“ x 1“ they got so cold they cracked so that is another avenue that I was in hopes would work but that does not either.

Just thought I might throw it out there for some input on if anybody has any ideas ?
I would really appreciate it as other than soda I don’t really see anything being a possibility and Soda has its drawbacks as well but at this point is my best option it may also be that I am shooting soda out of a Marco blast pot that really is more designed for more coarse materials.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this and I look forward to any recommendations that you may have.

Reese

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-23-2020, 11:00 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: media blasting
Rewards Points: 350

Re: Looking For Equipment Recommendations

Have you considered urea? I have used this media on automotive sheet
metal. It will leave a patina on aluminum but is pretty soft on steel.

Advertisement