Ideal Blast Shop Set-up? - Sandblasting - Contractor Talk

Ideal Blast Shop Set-up?

Old 09-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
Bob

Trade: Abrasive blasting
Rewards Points: 886

Ideal Blast Shop Set-up?

Been doing mainly mobile work but thinking a bit about setting up a small legit shop for dropped off work, cars, boats, machinery, etc. Looking for opinions relating to good shop layouts, air source equipment, media handling, blast containment, etc. Can some of you guys with fixed facilities show some pics of your shops, talk about what you would do different or improvements you would make?

Preliminary question: I've seen some great deals on three phase screw compressors on the used equipment lists, is this the way to go? I can't imagine using my Airman at a shop, besides I want to keep that out on the road.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-24-2011, 12:14 AM   #2
Doing what I do.

Trade: Remodeling contractor/US Army
Rewards Points: 79

Re: Ideal Blast Shop Set-up?

I'm 100% new to blasting other than playing around with a 20lb tank and some Black Beauty I picked up on eBay. I like the work and am thinking of starting it as a side job, mostly automotive stuff. I'm interested in hearing some recommendations as well.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

Remodeling and painting.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:55 AM   #3
Trial and Error Opperator

Trade: SandBlasting/Soda Blasting
Rewards Points: 864

I built a 30 x30 garage with intentions of using it for dry storage only. And mobile work only. Before I had the roof on people were booking me to blast cars. I quickly realized that it had to be changed.
I plasticed off one bay (15x30) to blast in. I placed a black max fan that airs it out ok, it pulls 3500 cfm but two be much better.

I also built a huge 2x4 frame in the back with landscaping cloth raped around it to capture and dust. This has worked well for 3 years, but looking into changing the cloth due to it's starting to get plugged up.

Winters are harsh, and it's a pain in the a$$ to adjust to moving snow around to have enuff room to put things.

In hind site,

Should have built on the back side of my property, and gone 40 x 80
Our business grew from doing cars and parts to dump trucks and large trailer, boats and parts.
Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/dyers.sodablasting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2011, 06:56 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: media blasting
Rewards Points: 272

Jim is right about air flow. My shop is in the back corner of three buildings with very little air flow after about on hour you cant hardly see to blast. And dont forget plenty of light.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:42 AM   #5
Bob

OK, massive air flow is a requirement, that makes sense. Bigger is always better too. I've seen dedicated blast booths, they are nice but way expensive! I guess the key would be to try and incorporate as many of the features of a commercial booth into a cheap metal building. Big lights, big fans, etc. What about wall protection? Plywood? Vinyl drapes?
Old 09-24-2011, 01:37 PM   #6

I placed Cheep partical board (plywood) on the walls and ceilings.
but first put plastic on to tightn it up, then plywood.
been blasting in there for over 3 years and never show signs of wear. just dont shot at the walls!
or floor. I use a rubber mat out of the back of a pick up truck to blast on.

this was a topic a few months, year ago and there is a formula to figure out the air flow needed.

w x l x h ? tells you the volume of the area.

anyone on the formula??

I put floresent lights at the edge of the ceiling all the way around, with covers (they were free and work ok) but get dirty quickly.
always taking the covers off to clean.

make sure any wires are in condut or sealed off. by code so it will not create a spark and blow up. some dust is highly exsplosive in the right conditions.

Last edited by Dyer; 09-24-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
Bob

What are you shop operators using for compressed air? Will a big electric unit work or is a diesel system the way to go?
Old 09-25-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
Pro

Rewards Points: 272

Electric will work but most units that big are 3phase. I run my diesel at my shop that way i dont have two compresers to pay for and maintain. And i dont have 3phare at my shop.

Last edited by blast4cash; 09-25-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:16 PM   #9

Trade: Coatings Sales/Service & Media Blasting
Rewards Points: 85

i like this one. Looks to be a metal carport, with sides added and a couple large chickenhouse fans. I contacted the owner to get details, but he was jammed up. In the process of build a 20' x 40' room within my neighbors autobody shop. Will post pic's as we progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Ideal blast shop set-up?-blast-booth-3.jpg   Ideal blast shop set-up?-blast-booth-4.jpg  
Old 09-25-2011, 05:45 PM   #10

20 x 40 is a good shop!
You can get a lot of things done with that.

Make sure you leave enough head room to put in a one ton with the body up.

I find that my 30 x 15 is a great size for a lot of cars etc.., but the 12' head room restricts some of my jobs. I end up doing them outside or doing them on location.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:51 PM   #11
Todd

Rewards Points: 762

Quote:
Originally Posted by coatingsguy View Post
i like this one. Looks to be a metal carport, with sides added and a couple large chickenhouse fans. I contacted the owner to get details, but he was jammed up. In the process of build a 20' x 40' room within my neighbors autobody shop. Will post pic's as we progress.
I like this one...

Mine is similar just no fans...and 20 ft deep...I use the sunlight for most of my light. There doesn't seem to be a better substitute for it.

I do like the fans. Problem with my booth is the lack of place for the dust to go anywhere and it just sits in my parking lot and I sweep it up. The owner of that booth is probably dealing with a serious corrosion problem even if the stuff was galvanized it is most likely wasted being that he is a soda blaster. I went and purchased horse stall mats for mine so the slab quits eroding. It got to the point that lots of rocks were coming loose.

My thought was to use one diesel compressor and as the fuel cost does suck it was my belief that it was less to deal with maintenance wise but I have been exploring the idea to add a 50hp electric and add another 185 to double the need for larger mobile jobs. I did add a 500 gallon off road fuel tank with electric pump to my shop and just welded on a cradle. So that it can moved with a forklift...fuel is a little cheaper that way.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:54 PM   #12
Glen

Trade: Media blasting
Rewards Points: 686

I just had to move from shop to a new one. I placed one 4000 cfm fan from TSC,$250.00, in a window on the back wall and one little bit smaller one in the front side window to bring air in. Works well enough to keep good visibility. I screwed shelf brackets to the walls, an upper and lower row on both sides. I hand cheap 500 watt lights from them. I only have one or two on at a time. I just move it with me to the next bracket. I get bulbs for $1.70 each on line instead of $3.00 in the store.
http://betterblast.com/
Old 09-25-2011, 11:12 PM   #13
Bob

You guys really know how to do things on the cheap, I love it!

I don't know why but there are several big electric screw compressors for sale cheeep around here right now . . . I'm tempted to pick one up in anticipation of building a shop. There is a nice 50hp one asking $2,500 . . . got to be a $10,000 machine new?
Old 09-26-2011, 06:28 AM   #14

I made a big box out side my shop, and covered it with black landscape cloth. Works great to capture dust. The fan blows into it.

Want to redesign it so there is a slab under it and a door to get in and clean up dust on the floor.

Box right now is 8' wide 4' deep and 8' tall

Next time will be twice the size. The air blowing in expands and looses momentum, heavy falls to ground and light dust gets caught in cloth
Old 09-26-2011, 12:52 PM   #15

Trade: Coatings Sales/Service & Media Blasting
Rewards Points: 85

dyer.........can u post some pics of your set up sometime? thanks, coatingsguy
Old 09-26-2011, 05:38 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: DUST FREE Media Blasting and Sandblasting
Rewards Points: 838

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand Pot View Post
You guys really know how to do things on the cheap, I love it!
No this is cheap!

I call it the "Rat Hole!"

it's an old industrial complex (Brown Field) that I got in real cheap on.

It has it's own 100' smoke stack, a homeless guy and a 2 acre fenced in lot... oh ya... it's a superfund clean up site.

My plan is to put up one of those Big Top Shelters 40"L x 25'W x 20'H to the right of the building which will be a out door blasting and painting booth.

Anyway the building and lot are a work in progress.

The garage door on the left is only 10'6" which is way to low, should have been 14" my mistake.

The main room is perfect for wet blasting with a cealing that is 50' in the middle

This is looking across the shop and as you can see it's a good size room.

This is that same boat which I blasted today.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #17
Bob

Neat! I see it came with a built-in security guard (put him to work). What kind of toxic stuff used to spew from that stack? You ought to sell advertising on that thing . . .

You going to start painting the boats too? That enhances the income and you're already doing the hard part.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:42 PM   #18
Glen

Trade: Media blasting
Rewards Points: 686

I use a five by six sheet of rubber on the floor from Lowes. I think they are for water proofing new bathroom floors. About $50. bucks. You can also try to hit up a local roofer for any scrap roofing rubber. Both are light enough to drag around when you need to shovel up.
http://betterblast.com/
Old 09-26-2011, 10:30 PM   #19

Trade: Sandblasting
Rewards Points: 10

Hello

Talking about cheap shop ideas, I have found the a shipping container works very well for blasting. The box is sealed and lockable. I put a large dust system at one end so you can see and you can pick up media easily.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:02 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: DUST FREE Media Blasting and Sandblasting
Rewards Points: 838

Quote:
Neat! I see it came with a built-in security guard (put him to work). What kind of toxic stuff used to spew from that stack? You ought to sell advertising on that thing . . .
Believe it or not the smoke stack was for a HUGE oil/coal burner that was used to heat the complex.

Quote:
You going to start painting the boats too? That enhances the income and you're already doing the hard part.
YA, I'm doing boat with a combo package that discounterd somewhat because the boat comes to me and it's already in the shop on stands. This boat gets painted today with 2 coats of gray Interlux 2000E followed by 3 coats of Black Interlux CSC ablative.

Advertisement