51 Dodge Truck - Sandblasting - Contractor Talk

51 Dodge Truck

Old 09-29-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
Kelly

Trade: Media blasting
Rewards Points: 254

51 Dodge Truck

I recently lost a job for a 51 dodge truck that was rusted. The owner wanted all the rust blasted off which I knew 70 grit crushed glass would be perfect for the job and 30/50 heavy glass on the rusted frame. My cost on glass is $12.50 a bag. The answer I got back was they thought my prices were too high. Each of these prices I gave them was for both sides inside and outside of each. This was a wealthy auto auction owner so money wasn't an issue. I'm thinking since he has low paid guys there they can just hit it with a DA sander for $10 an hour.
Cab $668.00
Doors $222.40
Hood $137.60
Frame $344.00

Total $1372.00

Do you think I was out of line? I don't think so. I also offered $100 an hour for labor plus $20 per 50lb bag and $100 in fuel.

Last edited by kell490; 09-29-2010 at 09:31 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-29-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
Glen

Rewards Points: 686

Re: 51 Dodge Truck

Well you know, it's all about what your market will bare. It's different for all of us. I certainly don't think it's too high for the work invloved but I imagine I am usually closer to the nine area myself to get the work. I figure it for about $300. in media and fuel. What's left is still a good days pay.

If you think you still have a shot at it maybe try checking in with him. You might say to him, If you cover my cost on whatever media I use at $17.00 a bag, what would you feel comfortable offering me for my labor. I'll tell you it's likely to take me most of a day to do it so kick it around and shoot a number at me. I'm sure we can agree on somthing fair to us both and I'd like the chance to takecare you on this.

It puts it back on them and they know what they are willing to spend and then you can decide if it's a good days pay for you. Beats nothing.

I just did this with a job. I was there to blast a small attic space just to brighten the wooden beams. While I was there he asked if I could do the same to the stone wall on the back. It would be quick and easy and use about 4 bags at most. Iasked for $700. for both and he wanted less of course. Instead of playing the guess what number I'm thinking of game I said make me a labor offer and I walked off to get my equipment set up and let him think. He offered $575. I didn't make much on it but it only took an extra hour and I got a little more out of what was a smaller job. If he said any lower I would have come back but it seemed fair and I know he'll use me again. It was his own price so I know he doesn't feel stuck and he loved the work.

Advertisement

http://betterblast.com/
Old 09-30-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
Trial and Error Opperator

Trade: SandBlasting/Soda Blasting
Rewards Points: 864

Kell,
That doesn't sound to bad for rust removal, we have 90% of our jobs as rust.
most cars and small trucks run between 600-800 out side and 800 - 1200 to add under side and frame.

up here the under coating is the big problem and I through them a "could be a little extra if it comes off slow."

Yor prices are a close ball park.
calling them back to heve them counter offer is a good way to nagotitae a price.

you can always say No and walk away?
Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/dyers.sodablasting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2010, 08:42 AM   #4
Kelly

I tried talking to them again they don't really want to talk I guess he found someone else. There are a couple of blast rooms here that are doing it real cheap so they say. When I get my mobile blast room going I should be able to compete better. I have lost about 10 car jobs from not being able to blast in high population areas. I'm planning on using this and a dust collector I can plug in to 110v.
http://www.amazon.com/10x20-Canopy-P...5394939&sr=1-5
it is a pop up tent with 4 sides already so all I have to do is get a negative pressure going should work okay for glass I'm hoping I can't afford one of those cool inflatable jobs or a black max fan setup so ill have to go with harbor freight dust collector for now.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
master hacker of wood

Trade: restoration carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,730

yea if your not established yet, pay your equipment and make wages, if you have too, sitting home waiting for the big one sucks,

if you got nothing better to do ,DEAL some is better than none
Old 10-14-2010, 07:57 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Sodablasting/ Sandblasting
Rewards Points: 200

I think those prices sound fine. There's always those people that think you're too high, you could charge them ten dollars and they'll think it's too high. I had a guy that insisted anything over $40 for a '55 Chevy trunk lid was way too high and those things are huge! People just have no idea about the overhead we have.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
Glen

That's true Blast. I think people are used to getting a pay check so the whole thing is their money. They picture that $40 as all profit in your pocket.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:42 PM   #8
Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRAME2FINISH View Post
yea if your not established yet, pay your equipment and make wages, if you have too, sitting home waiting for the big one sucks,

if you got nothing better to do ,DEAL some is better than none
I would rather not blast then just break even it's too much work to just pay for material. Establishing a business doesn't mean doing job's where there is no profit. It's about advertising and getting your name out there.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:13 PM   #9
Mobile Sandblasting

Trade: SANDBLASTING
Rewards Points: 554

Its also about being competitive and doing quality work. Whoever is doing for less, is probably using silica sand at $9.00 per 100lbs. They are going to tear stuff up.. In the long run, cheaper is not always better. I know my prices have been way to low, but I am working and people are calling me back.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:53 PM   #10

Trade: Media Blasting
Rewards Points: 10

Those prices sound a bit high to me. $700 for the cab which does not include the doors? $350 for a frame seems high too. My shop is in CA and frames go for $250 and $700 would cover the cab, doors and hood. Our shop does have the best prices. We may lose a bit on each car but make it up significantly when people recommend us to others. We also would put our work up against anyone. It would take maybe 200lbs of 70 glass to do the cab, doors and hood and another 100lbs for the frame My cost on material would be $70, fuel maybe another $30. If I quoted $950, I would walk with $850. Not bad imho for less than a days work. It might be low in peoples minds but that guy will be happy and tell everyone he knows. Now multiply that by 4 or 5 a week and its not too bad

Last edited by Escalado; 10-21-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:25 AM   #11
Trial and Error Opperator

Trade: SandBlasting/Soda Blasting
Rewards Points: 864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escalado View Post
Those prices sound a bit high to me. $700 for the cab which does not include the doors? $350 for a frame seems high too. My shop is in CA and frames go for $250 and $700 would cover the cab, doors and hood. Our shop does have the best prices. We may lose a bit on each car but make it up significantly when people recommend us to others. We also would put our work up against anyone. It would take maybe 200lbs of 70 glass to do the cab, doors and hood and another 100lbs for the frame My cost on material would be $70, fuel maybe another $30. If I quoted $950, I would walk with $850. Not bad imho for less than a days work. It might be low in peoples minds but that guy will be happy and tell everyone he knows. Now multiply that by 4 or 5 a week and its not too bad
alot depends on the area your working in, I pay more for grit just to be delivered to me than Glen does for the same pallet in PA.
700 does sound like a lot for just a bare cab, more like 450 for us
350 for a rolling frame.
Up here to is the rust factor, takes much more time and material to clean it right with out warping.
for me I give out a estimate, then keep track of the hours. if it comes out close I leve it, if its less then I charge acording to my hours, and the people seem really hapy when they get there bill... and they tell others that I treated them right! Its Fair to me and them!
I'm it in to make money and get a good reputation!
Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/dyers.sodablasting

Last edited by Dyer; 10-22-2010 at 06:30 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:01 PM   #12
Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escalado View Post
You must have a nice pot to be able to blast the whole cab inside and outside all sides bottoms as well, and the doors, and the hood with 4 50 lb bags of 70 grit glass. My estimates for that job would have been about 7-10 bags for mine.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:06 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: ooo
Rewards Points: 2,000

FYI: I paid 1,200 to have this done on my 67 Chevelle body off restoration. I thought I got a great deal...................and that was 8 years ago!

Mike
Old 10-24-2010, 09:46 AM   #14
Pro

Mike's was that primed or just blasted?
Old 10-24-2010, 09:49 AM   #15
Pro

The more I think about it that is a bit high on the cab. I probably wouldn't charge more than $450* if it is just a bare cab.

*Obviously there are always exceptions to every price estimate
Old 10-24-2010, 10:02 PM   #16
Glen

I was thinking like Kell about the lbs. And a full frame can take another 6 to 8
Old 10-24-2010, 10:19 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: ooo
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastoffinc View Post
Mike's was that primed or just blasted?
That was just blasted, nothing else.

That's actually a sweet business. I loved hanging out inside this place, it was a zoo. The guy is a top notch marketer and his business is great.

I think it was called "motorsports powdercoating"...yeah he does this also. It's just a basic booth. I forget what he charged for PC the frame.

Mike
Old 10-24-2010, 11:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
You must have a nice pot to be able to blast the whole cab inside and outside all sides bottoms as well, and the doors, and the hood with 4 50 lb bags of 70 grit glass. My estimates for that job would have been about 7-10 bags for mine.
We have a marco. With 70 grit all you have to do is "crack" the media valve. At 40 psi 300lbs of media can last us 3 or 4 hours easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betterblast View Post
I was thinking like Kell about the lbs. And a full frame can take another 6 to 8
Thats insane amount of media for a frame. A frame will maybe take 2 or 3 bags MAX. A large stripped frame may take an hour or two.

You guys might want to dial in your pots. A large muscle car exterior usually takes 300lbs to 400lbs of 70 grit crushed glass. Although we do go through 50 and 30 at a higher rate.

Last edited by Escalado; 10-24-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:29 PM   #19
Glen

I see two things that might make some of the difference. I use a 40/70 mix so if you have a straight 70 that's pretty fine and I really never went down to 40 psi on a rusty frame. I usualy am around 90. Who do you get a straight 70 glass from? I'd like to try some.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:36 PM   #20

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betterblast View Post
I see two things that might make some of the difference. I use a 40/70 mix so if you have a straight 70 that's pretty fine and I really never went down to 40 psi on a rusty frame. I usualy am around 90. Who do you get a straight 70 glass from? I'd like to try some.

On the frames we are at 90psi also and use either a 50 or 30 grit depending on the amount of rust/coating. I love the 70 grit crushed glass. We use a vitrogrit straight 70. Price is about $10 per 50lbs. Supersacks about $9. We used to soda blast but with the 70 grit there's almost no use for soda. We sold our soda blaster after our ppg painters refused to paint soda blasted cars due to ppg's lack of a gurantee on soda prepped vehicles.

Advertisement