Re-painting Installed Lacquered Doors - Specialty Coatings - Contractor Talk

Re-painting Installed Lacquered Doors

Old 10-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #1

Trade: remodels
Rewards Points: 10
Question

Re-painting Installed Lacquered Doors

i'm working on a project that calls for changing the color of 10 metal doors and frames installed in a residential building that were spray-lacquered in place after they were installed (but before the building was inhabited).

i won't spray lacquer in a corridor in a residential building that is inhabited. it's just too dangerous. but i can't find anything that wants to stick to it.

i've tried sanding / spraying alkyd DTM - it wouldn't come out of my cup gun, so i thinned it till it would. i got orange peel & alligator skin.

sanded again, not to bare metal, but to smooth. then primer & thinned DTM (cuz i had it) - same thing.

at my wits end.

i may have over-thinned the DTM to get it out of my gun.

any advice would be welcome.

thanks in advance.
-dz

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,450

Re: Re-painting Installed Lacquered Doors

Sand, wipe with deglosser, prime with zinnser (oil based, in the tan can), paint. Probably not necessary to sand and degloss but its what I do when painting lacquered cabinets.

Advertisement