Painting Brick Wall And Lime Mortar - Specialty Coatings - Contractor Talk

Painting Brick Wall And Lime Mortar

Old 04-08-2017, 08:05 PM   #1

Trade: Remodeling

Painting Brick Wall And Lime Mortar

Hey there, I have a job to paint a rowhouse that has lime mortar. What do you guys use?
The lime mortar is pretty soft and needs to breathe.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-09-2017, 06:11 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,942

Re: Painting Brick Wall And Lime Mortar

Is the surface already painted or bare brick?

If it is bare brick and surface is sound then my first choice would be SW Loxon primer. It is a water based masonry primer.

If you have a bare brick surface that is deteriorating, then I would first apply a coat of Loxon Conditioner before priming.

If the surface is already painted and you are re-painting then I would only spot prime with the Loxon where bare brick shows through, same with the conditioner.
Applying Loxon over paint has no benefit.

Hope this helps, oh and welcome to the forum.

Advertisement

Last edited by Ohio painter; 04-09-2017 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:42 AM   #3

Well,
The brick has been painted before. I suspect it has a few different types of paint from lead based to latex. Im not so much worried about adhesion to the brick as much as I am concerned about painting over the lime mortar.
The lime mortar needs to breathe, its not at all like type N or the modern mortars we use that hardens with water quickly. Lime mortar is always "breathing".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2017, 10:05 AM   #4

Ill be more specific.
This is a brick wall built in 1900. Back then they were still using lime mortar. Lime mortar is softer than cement. It needs to breathe, actually the whole wall is designed to breathe. Lime mortar is self repairing, when it rains the lime mortar is designed to move around and fill voids. If you look at an improperly painted historic home the paint is blistering out from the mortar joints.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:26 PM   #5
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 696

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushworks View Post
If you look at an improperly painted historic home the paint is blistering out from the mortar joints.
I'm not sure there's such a thing as a properly painted [brick] historic home. Don't the bricks need to breathe too?
Old 04-09-2017, 02:06 PM   #6

I guess you do have a point there. Historic brick and stucco should be limewashed. But with modern technology I am sure someone has painted rowhomes, brick storefronts, etc... with some degree of sucess. As I drive along the customers street I see painted bricks that look perfect with no blistering or peeling, ones that look terrible, and others that are limewashed. I dont have the option to limewash unless I remove all the old paint first. And since the old paint is adhered pretty well I dont see the advantage of removing it.
So, besides Loxon, has anyone ever used Silan paint?
Old 04-10-2017, 02:16 PM   #7

So I guess the best route would ve Loxon conditioner to stabilize the PH. Then Loxon on top.

Advertisement