Bar Floor Coatings? - Specialty Coatings - Contractor Talk

Bar Floor Coatings?

Old 12-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Flooring, wall covering, Handy-man
Rewards Points: 376

Bar Floor Coatings?

I've been asked to coat a bar floor with some epoxy type material.
I have seen a lot of these type of coatings fail in restaurants because of the chemicals they use, my guess alcohol being spilled on it would also have a problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I told them I would rather tile the floor than put down a product that has such a high chance of failing.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-31-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
Handle It!

Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Bar Floor Coatings?

Buy the REAL DEAL of epoxy coating and you will be fine. Buy a gallon or two from a Big Box and it WILL fail.

Advertisement

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE
The Following User Says Thank You to MALCO.New.York For This Useful Post:
asevereid (12-31-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,044

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALCO.New.York View Post
Buy the REAL DEAL of epoxy coating and you will be fine. Buy a gallon or two from a Big Box and it WILL fail.
That's right. Or real urethanes, or MMA. They're made to survive food manufacturing, chemical plants, airplane fuel, etc., so a little booze won't do a thing. Surface prep and humidity matter a lot,and materials costs might be $5/square foot, or more for small areas, which turns off someone who has in mind that you're going to mop on some garage floor paint overnight and they'll be slinging beers the next day. MMA if you want a quick turn-around.

I can't pretend to have a long track record with this - I have only one MMA project under my belt, and a couple more in the pipeline. I did a lot of research, though, and have been looking in every restaurant kitchen possible, to see what's on the floor. It appears to me that these coatings are taking over commercial and institutional kitchens - no more quarry tile.

Not that you asked, but the way to sell these is on durability. If it's installed right, they won't be paying some guy $500 to scrape the paint and crud off the bar floor every few months, and repaint with another coating that will fail. Cleanable as anything.

What with the quartz and other color additives, some of these are very attractive, too.
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2013, 09:01 PM   #4
Renaissance Man

Trade: Masonry, Carpentry and everything else.
Rewards Points: 5,828

My friends veterinary hospital has a seamless epoxy floor system which is sanitary and super easy to clean. Wouldn't want it in bar though,...his seems on the softer side though and I remember banging it up pretty bad one day I was working in the kennel area and I dropped something,... left some nasty gouges I did

I'm sure there are other epoxies which would suit the bill, but I would agree, a hard porcelain or stone floor would be nice.

The Hard Rock Cafe in AC uses a slate floor and epoxy grout - that floor has held up quite well through the years and it's taking quite a licking.

Our local WAWA convenient stores use terrazzo, by far the most durable IMO.

https://www.facebook.com/Superseal-C...2699413750013/
Old 12-31-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,044

Quote:
Originally Posted by superseal View Post

There are lots of good terrazzo finishes in the resin floors. You have to do the full deal with them: primer, body coat, broadcast the terrazzo flake, and top coat.

Resin floors can be soft, but that's more of an option than a requirement. Some are rock hard.

Sorry if I seem like a resin flooring salesman.

Edit: One of the requirements with tile in public spaces is that your cleaning people have to be good. Not every bar's overnight cleaning crew will be as meticulous as the folks at HR Cafe might be.

Last edited by CarpenterSFO; 12-31-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:28 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Commercial Waterproofing, Masonry Restoration
Rewards Points: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by superseal View Post
My friends veterinary hospital has a seamless epoxy floor system which is sanitary and super easy to clean. Wouldn't want it in bar though,...his seems on the softer side though and I remember banging it up pretty bad one day I was working in the kennel area and I dropped something,... left some nasty gouges I did

I'm sure there are other epoxies which would suit the bill, but I would agree, a hard porcelain or stone floor would be nice.

The Hard Rock Cafe in AC uses a slate floor and epoxy grout - that floor has held up quite well through the years and it's taking quite a licking.

If impact resistance is required, the way to accomplish that with decorative aggregate is to thicken the system; in lieu of the standard 50-60ish mils, I think most mfg's would require at least double that. Of course, it sounds as though something isn't quite right if the epoxy was damaged as easily as you say.

CarpenterSFO, I presume when you say MMA, you mean PMMA? Which mfg do you use?
Old 06-17-2014, 08:03 AM   #7
http://penncoatinc.com/

Trade: Painting / Epoxy Flooring / Polished Concrete
Rewards Points: 706

Epoxies are a cheaper solution, and they perform ok in these situations as long as you have the right top coat. But urethane cements hold up the best. They are abrasion resistant, impervious, and, as far we can tell, preferred by most food inspectors. Dur-A-Flex makes a product called Poly-Crete MD, which we find to be one of the better brands available. And places dealing with food are subject to strict cleaning requirements. So if you're looking to add texture to the top coat, make sure it's still easy to clean with a mop. Here's some more info:
http://dur-a-flex.com/Home/FloorApplications/11
Old 06-17-2014, 03:18 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Commercial Waterproofing, Masonry Restoration
Rewards Points: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennCoat View Post
preferred by most food inspectors. [/url]
Opinion.

Advertisement