Help. My First Side Job. - Masonry Picture Post - Contractor Talk

Help. My First Side Job.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:04 PM   #1

Trade: Masonry

Help. My First Side Job.

After 3 years of laboring and 1 year of apprenticing I've got my first side job this weekend. A friend of a friend's mailbox was ran into and needs to be fixed. I told her I could do it this Sunday. I was thinking about using a chipping hammer to take down the top 5 courses, replacing the metal box, the laying the brick back ( I'm going to talk to the local brick supplier tomorrow to see if he has the right brick I need to replace the couple that are broken and to buy the mortar). Any constructive criticism would be appreciated ( such as is that how you would do it).

P.s. I've been on this website a lot in the past year and really enjoy looking at the pictures y'all post.
Attached Thumbnails
Help. My first side job.-img_0072_1484701354160.jpg   Help. My first side job.-img_0073_1484701385404.jpg   Help. My first side job.-img_0074_1484701412117.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-17-2017, 09:46 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 1,966

Re: Help. My First Side Job.

do your client a favor.....

take it all the way down.....

have the mail box fabricated out of 1/2' plate.....

mount it to a 6x6x1/2 sq tube 4' in the ground.....

then add the brick.....

Advertisement

NJGC (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 12:26 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 570

And while you're at it move it over, it looks haphazardly placed being partially on the driveway as if the bricks were just placed around the existing mailbox..
The Following User Says Thank You to avenge For This Useful Post:
CharlieDelta (01-18-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2017, 12:37 AM   #4
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 16,706

Just more surface area for bird ****.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:34 AM   #5
Pro

Rewards Points: 7,982

Looks like it is sitting on the curb, was it built that way or did it get bumped?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2017, 02:28 PM   #6
Pro

Rewards Points: 8,109

Matching those "builders Crap" sized brick will be tough, were they used on the house? there 'might' be one or two laying around.....

No hammer, use a large saw, cut off the mortar and relay. worst case use the ringer in rear, and stain them.

Don't forget the colored mortar...

A totally new one with a news paper hole (legal for the daily paper/adverts) would only be a few hundred more....

You can build these in your heated garage during layoffs and set them like a stone on a frost footing.....
Brick coping NOT RECOMMENDED...
Old 01-18-2017, 04:48 PM   #7
Pro

Rewards Points: 8,942

I usually take stuff like that apart with a cold chisel. Takes 30 minutes.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:42 PM   #8

The mailbox was moved when it was hit.. I went over to her house when I got off and beat the box out so it would open and close until I can fix the whole thing Sunday. the homeowner said she found 6 bricks in the garage but they don't look the same? Your right fourth generation I'm going to try and talk my boss into letting me borrow the quickie saw over the weekend and take it down that way. The brick and mortar are really dirty, I'm pretty sure it's just regular grey mortar. I just left the hardware store with her new mailbox I'm putting in.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:19 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam318 View Post
The mailbox was moved when it was hit.. I went over to her house when I got off and beat the box out so it would open and close until I can fix the whole thing Sunday. the homeowner said she found 6 bricks in the garage but they don't look the same? Your right fourth generation I'm going to try and talk my boss into letting me borrow the quickie saw over the weekend and take it down that way. The brick and mortar are really dirty, I'm pretty sure it's just regular grey mortar. I just left the hardware store with her new mailbox I'm putting in.
So the mailbox was moved when hit onto the driveway but yet there was green grass under it?
Old 01-18-2017, 08:27 PM   #10
Pro

Rewards Points: 8,109

On second thought I'd take it apart as little as possible relay just the damaged joints. and whip some brick colored patch mud for the one missing piece, or just saw a tile brick face piece that is close in color and texture.

WHERE IS THE INSURANCE MONEY, unless the homeowner hit it or the Mailperson?
Old 01-18-2017, 09:05 PM   #11
Business Owner

Trade: Pest & Termite Control
Rewards Points: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenge View Post
And while you're at it move it over,

it looks haphazardly placed being partially on the driveway

as if the bricks were just placed around the existing mailbox..
Look at picture #2, the mailbox is not on the edge of a driveway, it's on the edge of a sidewalk leading to the front door.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:21 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by P42003 View Post
Look at picture #2, the mailbox is not on the edge of a driveway, it's on the edge of a sidewalk leading to the front door.
Either way doesn't matter if it's a driveway or sidewalk.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:29 PM   #13
Smarter than the brick...

Rewards Points: 561

1. You're not going to find those brick anywhere, you might find something close but not those exact brick.

2. Your chances of tearing the existing brick out and cleaning them enough to be relaid are slim and none unless you cut them out with a saw/grinder and grind the mud off each brick individually. You might get lucky and they filled the inside with the same brick and just stacked them in there dry, might be able to get enough to relay the top of the mailbox.

3. Looks like faded black mud to me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kniggit For This Useful Post:
brickhook (01-21-2017), Fouthgeneration (01-21-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 03:43 AM   #14
Pro

Rewards Points: 7,982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kniggit View Post
1. You're not going to find those brick anywhere, you might find something close but not those exact brick.

2. Your chances of tearing the existing brick out and cleaning them enough to be relaid are slim and none unless you cut them out with a saw/grinder and grind the mud off each brick individually. You might get lucky and they filled the inside with the same brick and just stacked them in there dry, might be able to get enough to relay the top of the mailbox.

3. Looks like faded black mud to me.

I agree, for a the hassle of trying to match bricks you are better off tearing it down and rebuilding it anyway. But looking at the pictures i would guess the bricks clean easily. It doesn't look like there are any damaged bricks

If bricks are damaged you can take the top bricks off, clean them and install a limestone cap in place of the bricks..

Personally I would tear it down and replace it with something more appealing because its ugly

Last edited by Windycity; 01-22-2017 at 03:46 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:15 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

...good time to buy your own saw so you can start building your own tools..this way you can claim it on your taxes
Old 01-22-2017, 01:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycity View Post
I agree, for a the hassle of trying to match bricks you are better off tearing it down and rebuilding it anyway. But looking at the pictures i would guess the bricks clean easily. It doesn't look like there are any damaged bricks

If bricks are damaged you can take the top bricks off, clean them and install a limestone cap in place of the bricks..

Personally I would tear it down and replace it with something more appealing because its ugly

The problem is they're 5 hole brick, hard fired, next to impossible to get them out without them breaking, especially with just a hammer and chisel.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:30 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: builder fl cbc
Rewards Points: 496

Whats with the corner detail on the top course ?.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkist View Post
Whats with the corner detail on the top course ?.
Hiding the holes in the brick

Advertisement