The Building Of A Fire Box. I Think This Is Unique. - Masonry Picture Post - Contractor Talk

The Building Of A Fire Box. I Think This Is Unique.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:13 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Finish carpentry
Rewards Points: 598

The Building Of A Fire Box. I Think This Is Unique.

I have seen many tradesmen build fire boxes, this is being done in a way I understood, but never witnessed. I don't know how long I will be on the job, but I wanted to capture as many photos of their build as I can. I hope you enjoy their build as much as I will!
Attached Thumbnails
The building of a fire box. I think this is unique.-1507936234175.jpg   The building of a fire box. I think this is unique.-1507936246834.jpg  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stilla For This Useful Post:
fjn (10-15-2017), superseal (10-13-2017), Tom Struble (10-13-2017)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-13-2017, 08:39 PM   #2
Pro

Re: The Building Of A Fire Box. I Think This Is Unique.

I was thinking of my post and the crew doing the work. They speak Italian, Spanish in English.

Advertisement

Last edited by Stilla; 10-13-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:59 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 10,388

If not mistaking, two guys on this forum do it that way,Bytor and Stonecutter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2017, 07:16 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,866

I worked for a guy in florida when I first got there and he put wire lathe on the back side, laid them like that, cut the sizes and used a dolly to set them.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:39 PM   #5
Pro

Rewards Points: 7,872

Was that just because of the herringbone pattern? Is there any benefit besides appearance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2017, 01:47 AM   #6
Pro

Rewards Points: 7,945

Herringbone bonds have more tensile strength compared to a running bond, also these are laid in 4" bed depth, giving the flammable back up a little greater margin of safety if a burning log rolls out of the firebox....

I install a tin apron under the joint between the firebox firebrick and the hearth material to catch any sparks if the joint opens up as the floor sags. Old school trimmer arch hearths don't need this....

JBM Like the use of wire lathe to bond everything together for longterm.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fouthgeneration For This Useful Post:
fjn (10-16-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 03:57 PM   #7
Pro

These 5 guys, do really nice work. Their work area is clean, they put up plastic prior to cutting the slab, so dust was a bit more controlled. I wanted to capture more detailed photos, but they were still working and I don't want to be be rude and post images where they might be recognizable.
Attached Thumbnails
The building of a fire box. I think this is unique.-1508273699426.jpg   The building of a fire box. I think this is unique.-1508273712896.jpg   The building of a fire box. I think this is unique.-1508273724156.jpg   The building of a fire box. I think this is unique.-1508273735356.jpg   The building of a fire box. I think this is unique.-1508273747063.jpg  

Last edited by Stilla; 10-17-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:11 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: restoration/remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,272

IF I could afford that, NICE craftsmanship by the way, I would be afraid to burn in it and blackin it up!!!
Old 10-17-2017, 05:18 PM   #9
Pro

Rewards Points: 7,872

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Pa View Post
IF I could afford that, NICE craftsmanship by the way, I would be afraid to burn in it and blackin it up!!!

No kidding! That's to purdy to dirty up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2017, 07:53 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Monkey Scratching Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 1,450

I can't count how many I have seen built like that then immediately painted black. Most of them are Rumfords at least.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:28 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
I can't count how many I have seen built like that then immediately painted black. Most of them are Rumfords at least.
I am changing my profession to a paper airplane builder. I think I have 35 years of experience.

Last edited by Stilla; 10-17-2017 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:56 PM   #12
Pro

I painted one with an arched window in it last week.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:19 PM   #13
Pro

Rewards Points: 608

Ok, I guess I'll be the one to say that it looks like a way of doing pre-fab firebox panels on a job site. I don't really get the point. I would just buy prefab if that's what I wanted.

I like the look of a firebox built freehand. Took me a long time to learn how to do one. Also, panels built up against a board are flat and so you can't do a back wall without putting a straight joint across it and that just looks wrong in my opinion. ( I know there are very skilled guys who may disagree ) I bring my bricks forward in a curve and yes it means the will be some hacks and lips but to me looks way preferable.
Dave
Old 10-19-2017, 08:22 PM   #14
Pro

I grabbed some photos of the fire box this morning. They got a lot done today. I was told the customer wants to paint it black.😔
Attached Thumbnails
The building of a fire box. I think this is unique.-1508462458166.jpg   The building of a fire box. I think this is unique.-1508462486144.jpg   The building of a fire box. I think this is unique.-1508462517996.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Stilla For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (10-20-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 08:24 PM   #15
Pro

For a slant back herringbone I start the slant on the first course, what difference does it make...
Old 10-19-2017, 08:42 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrons View Post
Ok, I guess I'll be the one to say that it looks like a way of doing pre-fab firebox panels on a job site. I don't really get the point. I would just buy prefab if that's what I wanted.

I like the look of a firebox built freehand. Took me a long time to learn how to do one. Also, panels built up against a board are flat and so you can't do a back wall without putting a straight joint across it and that just looks wrong in my opinion. ( I know there are very skilled guys who may disagree ) I bring my bricks forward in a curve and yes it means the will be some hacks and lips but to me looks way preferable.
Dave
This home will cost 7 million to build, the client wants the perfect custom built/ hand made firebox, they paid, the masons did a great job.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:23 PM   #17
Pro

Rewards Points: 608

Well sure, to each their own, I'm sure the clients will love it and now that I see the upper part I will say they have meticulous attention to detail. It's just too meticulous for me

Dave
Old 10-20-2017, 10:31 AM   #18
Pro

Well,I have no problem with in place or pre fabing the firebox on the floor,or for that matter painting it black if that tickles your fancy. The part that I certainly would do differently is use fire clay mortar. The joints while somewhat tight,I seriously doubt are fire clay. If in fact they are,they exceed thicknesses speced by the producers of that mortar that I know of / use.

If fact,as good as the photos are,the joints appeared raked to me. Just my ho. Other than that,tidy work.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:13 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn View Post
Well,I have no problem with in place or pre fabing the firebox on the floor,or for that matter painting it black if that tickles your fancy. The part that I certainly would do differently is use fire clay mortar. The joints while somewhat tight,I seriously doubt are fire clay. If in fact they are,they exceed thicknesses speced by the producers of that mortar that I know of / use.

If fact,as good as the photos are,the joints appeared raked to me. Just my ho. Other than that,tidy work.
I am pretty sure it's not fire clay, the mortar I have seen them use is sand mix. But with that said I am unaware of what fire clay is. Goggle may give me that answer.

I also am unaware of what raked means to a mason, and I am sure goggle doesn't have that answer.

I am a finish carpenter, I am addicted to observing and listening to skilled tradesmen.

I just want to understand what an exceptional job looks like and how it's done.

I was really wowed about the work they completed in the last few days, my time on the job has just about run it's course. I might just get one more grouping of photos.

Last edited by Stilla; 10-20-2017 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:29 PM   #20
Pro

[QUOTE=Stilla;6410249]I am pretty sure it's not fire clay, the mortar I have seen them use is sand mix. But with that said I am unaware of what fire clay is. Goggle may give me that answer.

I also am unaware of what raked means to a mason, and I am sure goggle doesn't have that answer.

This will help you understand the nuances of laying fire brick. Please not the extremely tight joints,one could barely place a playing card between them.The tight joints and 'special" mortar lends itself to many years of service life.

Also,a raked joint is when the mortar is recessed beyond the face of the brick. Unless my eyes deceive me,that is what the masons did on the subject firebox. Not really the preferred method by most trade standards.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (10-21-2017), Stilla (10-20-2017)